Radio Setters

Pace’s newest team wears polo shirts and head phones instead of helmets and shoulder pads. Yet they have just as much impact on the game as the student athletes who take the field.

The voices of Mike McGinnis, Chris DeAngleo and Seth Cantor are responsible for bringing Pace sports to WFAS radio listeners across Westchester. McGinnis and DeAngelo’s show “The Scorecard” comes on with pre-game analysis at noon. One hour later the stage is set for Cantor; the new radio voice of Pace sports.

As the student athletes were warming up on the field, McGinnis, DeAngelo and the staff underwent their own pre-game routine. Countless wires were connected to various outlets in order for “The Scorecard” to kickoff the pre-game reports at 12 p.m. sharp.

After a 10 minute rundown of the Setters facing Merrimack College, McGinnis and DeAngelo played a pre-recorded interview with Pace offensive line coach and co-offensive coordinator John Tice, an interview which McGinnis said was anecdotal and punctual.

“The whole coaching staff is very friendly to the media,” McGinnis said. “Tice had some great stories to tell.”

A half hour away from kickoff McGinnis and his team had to call their own audible. As the Setters were running practice passes McGinnis had to fit in an interview with Tara Shames-Hernandez of the Lustgarten Foundation midway through the show. The former play-by-play announcer for Monroe College did not blink at the adjustment, and the interview went off without incident.

As noon became afternoon, “The Scorecard” passed the microphone to Cantor, the man who holds two announcing jobs on his back like Atlas.

Cantor is the play-by-play announcer and color commentator for Pace sports. The former Rockland Boulders announcer has 13 years of broadcasting experience under his belt, yet he has the same focused nervousness over a decade later.

“I still have the same nervous energy before a game,” Cantor said. “I think in this industry you have to be thankful to have an opportunity to call games every Saturday, I enjoy this.”

Cantor and the rest of Pace watched sophomore criminal justice major Brian Beeker throw a 64 yard touchdown pass to senior business management major Patrick Lupfer. Cantor announced the touchdown strike with the diction of Harry Caray and the artistry of Gil Santos.

Student athletes are intrigued by the new voices of their sports. Sophomore communications major Samantha Clarke finds the chance for Pace sports to be heard from Bedford to Yorktown exciting.

“I think student athletes will like being on the radio,” Clarke said. “We haven’t had anything like this before and I think it is a unique opportunity for students.”

Although the Setters were defeated by Merrimack 63-14 both Cantor and McGinnis remained upbeat in defeat. The post-game show, hosted by McGinnis, covered the good, the bad, and what has yet to come for the Setters as they prepare for Southern Connecticut State next week.

The contract between the station and the Setters runs through 2014. Yet McGinnis is hopeful to be a part of Pace athletics for more than two years.

“I want to see Pace in three years run out their fullback up 48-0,” McGinnis said.

When that day eventually comes, you will hear it first from the voice of Cantor on WFAS, followed by McGinnis and DeAngleo after the game.