Clutch fourth quarter threes from Hackett, Ryan and Quain lead Pace past Franklin Pierce

Amine Kassaoui, Contributing Writer

RINDGE, N.H. – The Pace University women’s basketball team defeated Franklin Pierce, 54-46, on the road, for the squad’s first conference victory of the season.

The Setters improve to 2-7 overall and 1-4 in the NE10, while the loss drops the Ravens to 4-6 and 2-4.

The game was extremely closely contested through the first three quarters, with Pace winning the first frame 14-13, and the teams tying in the second and third periods, 12-12 and 11-11 respectively.

The game featured five ties and six lead changes with neither side shooting very well from the field (Pace was 16-of-52, FPU was 17-of-48), but the Setters were far superior at the three-balls, knocking down 13 triples to the Ravens’ one.

In the fourth quarter, the three-point line would decide the game.

Down one point at the start of the final stanza, Franklin Pierce’s freshman Sara Macary nailed a jumper to give her team a 38-37 lead. It would be the last time the Ravens led in the game.

A three-pointer from grad student Lauren Hackett on the next Pace possession put the Setters up for good, and a freshman Morgan Ryan triple two minutes later gave the Blue & Gold a 43-38 lead.

Macary then sunk another jumper to cut the deficit to three, at which point grad student Kelsey Quain took over the proceedings, nailing two huge back-to-back clutch three-point shots to give Pace their largest lead of the game, 49-40.

The Ravens made things interesting in the final minute, cutting the Setters’ advantage to three points, but Pace would hold on, despite three missed free throws that could’ve iced the game.

Quain led the team with 12 points, on 4-of-7 shooting from downtown. Hackett did a little of everything, scoring nine points, grabbing five rebounds, stealing three balls, and dishing two assists. Freshman Ciara Collins was the top rebounder with seven boards.

With their first NE10 win in hand, the Setters will play two consecutive non-conference games next. First up is a date with Felician University on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.