Frankyn Batista’s monster double-double leads Pace men’s basketball past Bridgeport

Amine Kassaoui, Contributing Writer

PLEASANTVILLE, N.Y. – The Pace University men’s basketball team cruised to an 83-68 non-conference victory over the University of Bridgeport on Thursday night at Goldstein Fitness Center. The win improves the Setters’ overall record to 7-3, with their 2-3 record in Northeast-10 Conference games unaltered.

Bryan Powell shooting a free throw for Pace against Bridgeport (Photo/Amine Kassaoui)

The Purple Knights’ last lead of the game was 4-2 early in the first quarter, after which it was all Pace. After a feeling-out process, the Blue & Gold used a strong 12-0 run to extend their lead to 30-14, and never looked back, taking a 41-27 lead into the intermission. The Setters led by as many as 18 (35-17) in the opening half.

In the second half, Bridgeport got to within 11 points of Pace, but the Purple Knights were never able to get the game to within single digits.

The Setters struggled with 16 turnovers, but what cannot be denied about this Pace men’s basketball team is how outrageously effective they perform on the defensive end of the court. Pace, who came into this contest as the #1 defense in the NE10 allowing a conference-low 60 points per game, held the Purple Knights to a paltry 33.3% shooting from the field, 28.6% from downtown, and dominated the glass, out-rebounding Bridgeport by 11 boards.

Offensively, the Setters spread the wealth, with five players scoring in double-digits, led by Bryan Powell’s 19 points.

However, the star of the game was undoubtedly transfer student Frankyn Batista who registered an absurd double-double of 16 points and 18 rebounds, not to mention two assists, two steals, and two blocks to fully fill the stat sheet.

The Setters are back in action on Tuesday night at Felician University for the second of three consecutive non-conference battles.