Pace Basketball teams dominate Felician on the road

Amine Kassaoui, Contributing Writer

RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The Pace University men’s and women’s basketball teams each defeated Felician on the road in a non-conference games on Tuesday night. The women’s record improves to 3-7 (1-4 NE10), and the men go to 8-3 (2-3 NE10). Both squads are winners of two straight.

Bryan Powell at the charity stripe (photo/Amine Kassaoui)

The women won back-to-back games for the first time this season, taking their contest 62-54 with three players scoring in double digits. The Setters took a 4-3 lead with 7:50 remaining in the first quarter and would never trail again, leading by as many as 15 points in the final period.

Ciara Collins led the way with a career-best 17 points. The freshman shot 7-for-15 and gobbled up five rebounds. Arianna Stockinger scored 12 points but missed ten of 14 shots taken and all four three-point attempts. Junior Kat Mansaray went 4-for-6 for 10 points. The Canadian also took down four rebounds. Junior Shanice Sinclair was one point and one rebound shy of a double-double, as the Mount Vernon finished with nine points and team-highs of nine boards and four assists.

The Pace defense held the Golden Falcons to just 17 shots made out of 50 taken and caused 22 turnovers including nine steals.

Despite the loss, the best player on the court was Felician redshirt junior Brianna Lee who did everything humanly possible to keep her team in it. The guard registered a hefty double-double with game-best marks of 22 points, 14 rebounds, and two blocks and 54.6% shooting. The next best scorer for the Golden Falcons was graduate Katelyn Andres whose 11 points came off a disagreeable 3-of-14 shots.

The Setters are back home on Friday for another non-conference matchup, this time against Dominican University.

The Pace men utterly dominated Felician in a wire-to-wire 78-55 victory.

Senior Frankyn Batista was once again a man amongst boys, registering his second consecutive double-double with 12 points, 13 rebounds, and three blocked shots. The Dominican Republic native was especially aggressive on the offensive glass where he snatched seven boards.

Grad student Bryan Powell was the leading scorer for the Setters with 18 points, as well as nine rebounds and three assists. Junior Lyron Bennett was the team’s third double digit scorer with 14 and a team-high four assists. Three additional Setters scored nine points each, almost giving the team six players in double-digit scoring.

The Blue & Gold shot 45.5% from the field (30-of-66) including 11-of-25 from deep.

The defense was strong yet again, holding the Golden Falcons to a paltry 18 shots made in 51 attempts, and only 7-of-22 from downtown. Pace was also +17 in outrebounding Felician.

The Setters remain on the road and will face St. Thomas Aquinas on Saturday for their second of three consecutive non-conference games.