Career-best rebounding performance from Arianna Stockinger leads Pace Women’s Basketball to a third straight win

Amine Kassaoui, Contributing Writer

The Pace women’s basketball team warms up before their encounter with Dominican University (photo/Amine Kassaoui)

PLEASANTVILLE, NY – What started as an ugly turnover-fiesta, turned into a heart-pounding, back-and-forth, fourth quarter come from behind victory for the Pace University women’s basketball team, 44-41, over Dominican University.

The Setters, who are playing their best stretch of ball of the season, have won three in a row and improve to 4-7 (1-4 NE10) on the season.

The first half saw both teams struggle with their shots, as Pace was 7-of-26 and Dominican shot 6-of-22. The two also combined for 20 turnovers, 11 for the Chargers and nine for the Setters.

Pace graduate student Lauren Hackett and freshman Cierra Collins were the only players on either side to shoot efficiently after twenty minutes of action, with Hackett scoring eight points (3-for-4) including two triples, and Collins scoring four points (2-for-4). Not a single Charger made more than one field goal in the first half.

The Setters were down 12-11 after one quarter but would outscore the Chargers 9-4 in the second to take a 20-16 lead into the break.

The shooting woes for both squads continued into the third quarter, as an Alexis Suarez three-pointer would be the only points scored halfway through the period, cutting the Pace lead to 20-19.

After a layup from sophomore Tower Lorde gave the Setters a 24-21 lead, the Chargers went on a 11-0 run to take a 32-24 lead late in the third period with Angelina DiMarsico scoring nine of the 11. A jumper from junior Kat Mansaray ended the Dominican run and sent the game into the final quarter with Pace trailing 32-26.

Cierra Collins scored a floater to start the fourth quarter, cutting the deficit to four. A few moments later, head coach Carrie Seymour subbed Morgan Ryan back into the game. The freshman immediately paid dividends, sinking a three-ball to make it a one-point contest.

After the two sides traded more turnovers, Hackett drilled a mid-range jumper to cap Pace’s 7-0 run to start the fourth quarter and take a 33-32 lead with 6:40 to go in the game.

The Chargers reclaimed the lead off an Olivia Levy bucket, after which a huge offensive rebound from Ryan led to a Kelsey Quain three from the top of the circle giving Pace back the 36-34 advantage.After more give and take from both sides, Tanasha Mills gave the Chargers a 39-38 lead at the charity stripe. On the ensuing Pace possession sophomore Arianna Stockinger earned a pair of free throws of her own, and she would nail both to give Pace the edge for good.

The Chargers had a chance to tie the game at the buzzer but their three-pointer was blocked by Hackett, who was Pace’s leading scorer with 11 and leading facilitator with three assists. Stockinger had the greatest rebounding day of her young career, pulling down a game and career high 10 rebounds.