Krista Dietz of Pace Field Hockey named All-American for the second year in a row

Amine Kassaoui, Contributing Writer

Krista Dietz doing snow angels after a huge playoff (photo/Kristen Fairhurst)

PLEASANTVILLE, NY – Sophomore Krista Dietz of the Pace University field hockey team was named a Second Team All-American by National Field Hockey Coaches Association on Friday. It marks Dietz’ second straight season being named an All-American, as she was a First Team selection as a freshman in 2021.

The forward led the team in goals for the second consecutive year, with 12, including three game-winners, and distributed 10 assists as the driving force of a team that reached previously uncharted depths in the playoffs, making it all the way to the Northeast-10 Conference Championship Game for the first time in Pace history.

Dietz was particularly explosive late in the season when the games mattered most, scoring seven times and at least once in each of the team’s five consecutive wins to close out the regular season.

The sophomore put on an electrifying display in a 7-2 win over Southern Connecticut State on Nov 2. Dietz found the back of the cage three times in just eight minutes of game time and finished with three goals and one assist for seven points. No Pace player had ever registered more than five points in a single game prior to Dietz’ septuplet.

In the playoffs, the Mahopac native first helped the Setters to a historic road win over arch-nemesis and defending NE10 champions Assumption in a quarterfinal snowstorm in Worcester, MA.

Pace then faced New Haven on the blue turf on West Haven, CT, where Dietz put together a herculean, signature, career-defining performance.

Despite taking a nasty shot that sidelined her for crucial minutes, Dietz came back and was responsible for all three Pace goals, scoring once and assisting on the other two, in a 3-2 semifinal win over the Chargers, willing her team to an NE10 Finals appearance.

A strong case can be argued that Dietz is already the greatest player in school history, as the Blue & Gold field hockey program was only launched in 2015.

Last season Dietz became the first player to ever lead the NE10 in goals as a freshman, won the NE10 Rookie of the Year award, and was named to the NE10 All-Conference First Team. This year she continued to exhibit her scoring prowess but doubled her assists total from last year, showing great maturity and growth, and made the NE10 All-Conference First Team yet again.

In just two seasons on the field Dietz has absolutely assaulted the Pace record book with fire and fury. With two more seasons in front of her, Dietz may leave Pleasantville as the holder of every major Pace record. Below are some of her accomplishments:

45 points in a single season (most all-time)

20 goals in a single season (most all-time)

10 assists in a single season (most all-time)

7 points in a single game (most all-time)

3 goals in a single game (most all-time)

79 points overall (second most all-time, 21 behind first place)

32 goals overall (second most all-time, 9 behind first place)

15 assists overall (second most all-time, 3 behind first place)

42 games played (the record is 76)