Tips to Get Organized This School Year

Alexis Nieman, Media Editor

Waking up on the first day of class can mean a lot of things… nerves, excitement, eagerness to begin the year. Making the transition from relaxed “summer mode” to “school mode” can be challenging for many students. The sudden workload after a long period of time off can cause students to fall behind. However, there are many ways to combat the slow start of school with tricks to stay organized and prepared during the first weeks of the semester.

1. Using A Planner: A planner lays out assignments, tests, works schedules and everything else in your life. Using one allows you to see which things are due first, so you can complete them in a timely order. 
  2. Buying a Multiple Subject Notebook: This is very helpful because it keeps all of your class notes and syllabi in one spot. Instead of trying to track down several notebooks for a certain day, use one and save time (and money). 
  3. Don’t Forget to buy Pens, Pencils, and Highlighters: You’d be surprised how often students move onto campus with all of their electronics, shoes, clothes, and forget things that they need for class. Index cards and post-it notes are essential as well!
  4. Buying a Reusable Water Bottle: This is more a tip on staying healthy, rather than organized… but staying healthy is essential to doing well in the classroom, as well. With a reusable water bottle, you save a ton of plastic and can get free refills at one of the many refill stations on campus. 
  5. Keep Your Backpack Organized: Messy backpacks are a big stressor. Loose papers, wrappers and random pens caps that are everywhere in your bag make it very difficult to find something when you need to. 
  6. Keep Track of Your Passwords: This one might sound fairly obvious, but there are a bunch of passwords that you need to keep track of these days. Pace Portal, your email, google drive, etc. Keeping all of them in the notes app on your phone will save you so much frustration. Don’t forget to throw your Pace UID number in there as well. 
  7. Have A Set Day to do Chores: Little things like doing laundry, taking out the trash, or cleaning dishes can pile up and become a big, smelly problem after a while. Having a particular day every week to clean and take care of your living space will keep everything clean, and your roommates happy.
  8. Don’t be Afraid to Venture Outside of Kessel: News places are opening in and around Pleasantville all of the time. Places like Playa Bowls, The Pleasantville Diner, Lucio’s and Sal’s Pizzerias and just a few of the popular places that students like to go around town. Spend that flex money! 

Using some, or all, of these tips will help to ensure that you get off on the right foot this semester. Stay organized and get that 4.0!