Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Celebrity News: The Death of Johnny Lewis

The world of television has been slightly altered after news of the scandalous death of 28-year-old Johnny Lewis spread across Hollywood.

Johnny Lewis premiered in small parts in films such as Raise Your Voice, Aliens vs. Predator- Requiem (AVPR), The Runaways, and more.  In television, he acted in shows such as Bones, Mad Men, and The OC. He also dated celebrity Katy Perry from 2005-2006.

Perhaps his most well-received role came from his character Kip “Half Sack” Epps on the Fox’s hit show Sons of Anarchy. Lewis was a part of the main cast of the first two seasons and played a returning war veteran with one testicle, a Harley, and knack for mechanics. He was a potential new member or “prospect” of the ‘Reaper crew’ also known as the SOA Motorcycle Club.

On Sept. 26, police were called to the home of 81-year-old Catherine Davis in Los Angeles due to reports of a disturbance and screaming. At the scene investigators found the woman, Lewis’s landlady, dead. Her home was also ransacked and her cat passed away as well. Lewis is the prime suspect of the homicide.

On the driveway outside the home the young actor was found dead after either falling or jumping from the roof of one of the surrounding structures. It is believed the actor could have been under the influence of drugs and toxicology reports will be conducted.

The death of the Sons and Anarchy actor happened merely days after the show killed off another major character. Lewis left the show in 2009 citing “creative differences” and his character was killed off in an honorable way that was in service of the Motorcycle Club. He was “patched-in” after his death in the season three premiere on Sept. 7, 2010.

Kurt Shutter, creator and producer of SOA, tweeted on Thurs. about Lewis’s death stating, “It was a tragic end for an extremely talented guy, who unfortunately lost his way. I wish I could say I was shocked by events last night, but I was not…”

Lewis was arrested three times in the past year; once, for breaking into a home and beating two men in Jan.; second, he was arrested for punching a man in the face in Feb. His third arrest was eight days later when he attempted to break into a Santa Monica home. Lewis was released from jail for unknown reasons on Sept. 21, five days before his death and the tragic death of Davis.

“When I heard the “Half Sack” had died in real life, I was upset even though he had died in the show and was no longer a part of the SOA cast,” said sophomore criminal justice major TJ Bonci. “I think it is very ironic that Half Sack died just two days after a Sons favorite was killed… It’s also ironic how Half Sack died going out violently like this season of Sons has started. It’s only fitting.”

The death and surrounding investigation of Johnny Lewis, certainly has many people wondering if there was anything that could be done to prevent this from occurring. Lewis is believed to have suffered from many mental health issues in the time leading up to his death.

“I think in his case, he fell through every possible safety net. People were aware of his problems but couldn’t reach him,” said Prof. Susan Crawford. “He really had true talent and anytime you see that it’s doubly as tragic.”

Johnny Lewis was born on Oct. 29, 1983 and was raised into a scientology household. His parents attempted to help their son receive the medical attention he needed for his illnesses but at no avail. Lewis leaves behind a young daughter. For more information about Johnny Lewis and his creative works, visit IMDb.com.