The cast of Our Lady Of 121st Street at Arc Stages. 
Left to right: Jillian Hinz, Evan Mahanna, Patrick Purcell, Belle Duddie, Kendall Key, Marquise McCullough, Lilah McCormack, Darius Tiru, Leanna Ward, Michaela Elyse Williams, Faith Andrews,  Payton Cocchia.
Pace University's Spring Play: Our Lady of 121st Street

Pace University’s spring play, Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Our Lady of 121st Street, premiered this past week at Arc Stages in Pleasantville. Opening...

Pace Headed to the World Cup for Documentary Course

Pace has been recognized over the past several years for its award winning travel course, Producing the Documentary, and this year they’re headed to Brazil.

This year’s documentary focuses on the environmental and social impact that next summer’s FIFA World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics will have on Brazil.

Brazil is well known for a great social divide amongst classes, but these social issues apply to all citizens of the country. Lead by Dr. Maria Luskay, Claudia Green, and Andrew Revkin, the course will examine what Brazil is doing to prepare themselves for the onslaught of tourists headed towards them.

“The documentary covers green mapping and other efforts to promote sustainable businesses and attractions,” Dr. Luskay said.

Green Mapping is as easy as it sounds. It’s simply a map that points out specific businesses and places that are sustainable and leave little to no impact on the earth. The topic was covered in a previous documentary made in 2008, which was also filmed in Brazil.

From an outside perspective it seems as though this new documentary could serve as a sequel to the previous short film. The first film focused on how green mapping technology was being introduced and used whereas the new film is more about how it’s still being successfully used and the environmental impact it’s had on Brazil.

The students will visit Paraty, a small historic coastal community to discuss their Green Map. This year’s short film will be shot in Rio de Janeiro where the students will meet with government officials, journalists, and activists to discuss their efforts in the fight for sustainability. From there they will also visit Illha Grand, an environmental preserve.

“I really hope I can go this year, I’ve always wanted to go to Brazil and I think the topic they’re covering is very relatable,” senior media communications & visual arts major Lisa Musillo said. “I think the way they’re tying it all to the Olympics and the World Cup is a great way to get people interested.”

Between deforestation and pollution, Brazil is a hot spot for environmental issues. But as of the past several years it’s become an up-and-coming industrial country, making it one of the leading countries in sustainable practices.

Last year’s film Viva La Tortuga had an official screening at the New York Independent Film Festival, a first for the course. In past years, their documentaries have won several awards, including one for The Battle Behind the Bottle: A Film on the Cork Question, from Media Communications Association International.

The “Producing the Documentary” course takes place during Spring break, giving students an opportunity to learn, make a difference and most importantly, have fun.

\