My Two Cents: Justin Bieber

We are two months into 2014 and Justin Bieber is already one of the most controversial hot topics of the year. From drugs to eggs, his antics have been making headlines left and right.

It started on Jan. 10 when authorities were called to Bieber’s neighbor’s house, who accused him of egging his house. Some students feel that incidences like this shouldn’t matter and they should focus more on positive stories.

“It’s not national news when he goes to Guatemala to help build schools and raise over a million dollars for them but he throws an egg and you would think he stabbed someone,” junior media and communications major Brenna Crowe said.

This certainly wasn’t the last time we heard about Bieber this year. Less than two weeks after the egg-throwing incident, he was arrested for a DUI in Miami Florida.

“I think it’s kind of ridiculous that 19 year old got arrested for a DUI, but these things happen everyday, so I wouldn’t say I’m entirely surprised it happened,” senior marketing major Stephen Druan said.

Most people would have called it a day at this point, but Bieber continued with his “debauchery”. Once again, less than two weeks after his DUI, he got into some trouble by allegedly smoking marijuana on an airplane after being told multiple times to stop. Fortunately for Bieber there wasn’t any evidence to convict him.

These were just the major headliners, which had additional minor controversies in background. His bad boy reputation has been spiraling out of control over the past year or so but this isn’t deterring fans from Beliebing in him.

“I’m not saying he wasn’t wrong because he definitely messed up and needs to slow down…I think he’s going to make a lot more mistakes in his life, but he’s surrounded by good people who will try to keep him on track” Crowe added.

My Two Cents:

First and foremost, I’m not a fan of Justin Bieber’s music; it just isn’t my thing. Do I respect him as an artist? Sure. I think anyone who pursues a career of self-expression through the arts deserves just as much respect as everyone else, regardless of an individual’s taste.

I’m sort of torn on the whole Bieber debate. When I was Bieber’s age I was doing just as many questionable things as he was only I didn’t have a convoy of people from the media following me, I had a convoy of friends on skateboards. He knows how famous he is and he knows what is going to bring him positive/negative press, so I definitely feel like if he cares, he’d be at least a little more discreet.

Some news outlets are blaming his parents for his acting out, which reveals that those same people were 19 at some point in their lives too, which may come as a shocker, I’m proud them for figuring that mystery out.

Every teenager has angst in one form or another; only Bieber’s angst is being put on the cover of every celebrity gossip column. Whenever I would get into a huge argument with my mom I would go for a walk and get some air, come back and hash out the issue. I get it, he’s a teen celebrity, and unless he goes off to a live at monastery he’s going to be in the media no matter what. I’m a part of the media myself and I don’t agree with the way they treat the kid, have we not learned anything from Madonna, Lindsay Lohan or Britney Spears? Give him some space so he can go for a walk, people.