Post-Spring Break Depression Plagues Back To School Students

Catharine Conway, Opinion Editor

Leaving the sunny beaches of beautifully exotic islands to come back to the snowy, windy, and rainy weather can bring a cloud over the remaining time left of the semester. This cloud, commonly known as Post Spring Break Depression (PSBD), makes the back-to-school lifestyle difficult to adjust to.

Senioritis and cabin fever are just a couple of examples of illnesses that society has created to fit the symptoms of a certain time of year. PSBD is such a societal creation.

That black cloud is defined as “the realization that you have to go back to doing the same ole ‘stuff’ after a week in paradise,” according to Urban Dictionary (a site made to define societal slang terms).

This unfortunate series of emotions may make going back to school and doing homework a bit of a challenge, especially when the schedule of partying all night long and sleeping until 2 p.m. just isn’t in the cards any more.

Mariesa Cruz-Tillery, a staff psychologist at the Counseling Center, provided professional insight on this topic.

“Post Spring Break Depression is not a diagnosis,” Cruz-Tillery said. “It’s nothing that permanent – just a slump.”

Sometimes, the anticipation of a vacation and the sudden emptiness of its closure can affect students.

“[Students] look forward to Spring Break and to go somewhere nice and warm. Then they come back to the big cold slap of reality,” Cruz-Tillery said.

However, if students are having trouble getting back in the swing of things, the services of the Counseling Center are available.

“The Counseling Center is always here to help students adjust with whatever they need. We are happy that students feel comfortable enough to come to us. Especially with our new Relaxation Room, we are encouraging students who need time away to relax and unwind to use our new facilities,” Cruz-Tillery said.

To make an appointment with the Counseling Center, call (914) 773-3710. They are located on the second floor of the Administration Building of the Office of Student Assistance.