Meet the Greeks: Zeta Phi Beta

“This might be a weird way to say it, but I think what distinguishes Zeta women from other sororities is they’re comfortable in their own skin. They’re sexy,” said junior childhood education major Megan Haye, one of the new members of Zeta Phi Beta (ΖΦΒ).

The organization was brought to Pace’s Pleasantville campus last semester, thanks to the efforts of previous Student Association President Kayla Turner, who graduated at the end of last year.

Turner had an interest in the organization throughout her time at Pace but wasn’t able to bring the organization to the Pace campus until her last semester as a student. Turner, along with five other girls, founded ΖΦΒ’s chapter here at Pace during spring 2012.

ΖΦΒ was originally on campus during the late 1990s but was disbanded after all the members at that time graduated without recruiting newer members. The current members don’t plan on making the same mistake and encourage everyone to meet the organization.

“Nationally it is predominantly an African American woman’s sorority but anyone can join,” said Haye. “I’ve seen sisters in chapters who were white, Latina, Asian; you name it, I’ve seen it.”

The founders of ΖΦΒ wanted to create an organization that strayed away from social elitism. They created an organization that was all encompassing and avoided discriminating; this foundation is still relevant in the organization today, even if it is under a different context.

“The diversity is actually one of the main reasons I was attracted to the organization,” said senior marketing major Zarinah Scott, the current chapter President of ΖΦΒ. Scott is both African American and Puerto Rican and wanted to join an organization that was fair to all ethnicities.

The organization was founded on the ideals of scholarship, service, sisterly love and finer womanhood. These values contribute to what Haye describes as “a different kind of woman.”

“ΖΦΒ was founded in the 1920s when women were just starting to wear shorter skirts and were becoming known as ‘the cat’s meow,’” said Haye. “Being a Zeta is celebrating the ability to be a homemaker, an educated worker and an activist all at once.”

Sisters of ΖΦΒ take their status as members very seriously, arguably more-so than other organizations. Haye joined to be a part of something greater than herself and described deciding to join as a serious commitment.

“You have to take a literal oath, hand on bible, that you are going to serve this organization to help the community that you’re a part of,” said Haye.

ΖΦΒ contributes to the philanthropy March of Dimes on a national level. Locally, the chapter decided to make Juvenile Diabetes their focus for philanthropic work due to one of the member’s family members having diabetes. The organization doesn’t have any philanthropic events planned as of now, but hopes to get involved with philanthropy and the Pace community once they’ve settled in.

For now, they are still in their infancy trying to break into Pace’s Greek life culture. Most recently they won a stroll off competition held by the University and hope to make more connections with students in the coming months. ΖΦΒ will be accepting new members next semester, spring 2013. For questions, Scott recommends students ask one of the Zetas themselves

“I would first encourage them to approach one of us. I feel no question should be seen as taboo or unanswerable,” said Scott.