Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Meet the Greeks: Kappa Alpha Psi

Most Greeks can be recognized by the letters on their shirts. Kappa Alpha Psi (ΚΑΨ) has another identifying-apparel: their canes.

“We believe the cane is a true sign of a gentleman,” said junior biology major Tyler Duncan, the local president of Kappa Alpha Psi at Pace.

Being a gentleman is an important pillar in ΚΑΨ’s foundation; the organization strives to meet this standard in every endeavor they partake in. Being a Kappa means exceeding the expectations placed upon you and always representing yourself as a gentleman. The standards are quite high for the individual members and even higher for those who want to join.

Currently, ΚΑΨ only has two members at Pace, but it’d be unfair to say the chapter only has two contributing members. ΚΑΨ is considered a “metro chapter.” All Greek organizations are split into “chapters,” which represent a group of members form the organization. Most chapters are divided by schools. Typically, if there are three schools with the same organization on each campus, there are three chapters.

A metro chapter is a combination of multiple schools to create one chapter. ΚΑΨ in Westchester is divided between Pace, West Point, SUNY New Paltz and Mercy College. So although at Pace there are only two members, the ΚΑΨ chapter in Westchester has closer to fourteen members total.

“People ask me if it’s intimidating that there are only two of us on campus and we have a saying: ‘it takes time and pressure to make a diamond,’” said Duncan.

Duncan believes that the nature of a metro chapter contributes to the organizations high standards and networking ability. Instead of becoming acquainted with one University’s rules and culture then getting comfortable, the organization has to constantly adapt and improve itself. The chapter also gains more connections since every member in the chapter has to coordinate and speak with people from all four campuses instead of just one. ΚΑΨ and Delta Sigma Theta (ΔΣΘ) are the only two organizations at Pace who are apart of metro chapters, Duncan views the difference as a positive.

“We have something unique about ΚΑΨ,” said Duncan, “we’re considered the smooth pretty boys and held to a higher standard. One thing we hold true is women.”

Fraternities typically have good relations with other sororities but ΚΑΨ goes out of their way to honor women in their philanthropies and events. In addition to frequently co-sponsoring with sororities who focus on domestic violence philanthropies, ΚΑΨ has an event dedicated to women appreciation.

On Dec. 3 later this semester, ΚΑΨ will be holding a “Cater to You” event, intended to show appreciation to women on campus. Women who attend the event will receive food, massages and performances complimentary of ΚΑΨ, everything is free for women.

ΚΑΨ focuses heavily on women appreciation but they stand on multiple principles. The organization’s major philanthropies focus on youth mentoring programs and developing younger generations into future leaders.

“We’re big on leaving our footprint on society. A basis in which we stand upon for the next person to improve on,” said Duncan.

ΚΑΨ has a list of five objectives that make up what the organization considers valuable members of college life. The objectives range encouraging honorable achievement in human endeavors to inspiring service in the public interest. These objectives are what guide a Kappa’s ambition and dedication to their organization and society.

Duncan has ambitions to get his organization recognized for a Pace Pride award and increasing their member count before he graduates. The organization is an exclusive group but their ambition is a rare quality, like a diamond. They believe that anyone can become a Kappa if they have the drive to succeed.

“Anyone can be built upon. Anyone can be trained for leadership. It’s not what you are right now but the drive you have and what you can be. Kappa can help you but it won’t make you,” said Duncan, “through our process, you make yourself.”