The cast of Our Lady Of 121st Street at Arc Stages. 
Left to right: Jillian Hinz, Evan Mahanna, Patrick Purcell, Belle Duddie, Kendall Key, Marquise McCullough, Lilah McCormack, Darius Tiru, Leanna Ward, Michaela Elyse Williams, Faith Andrews,  Payton Cocchia.
Pace University's Spring Play: Our Lady of 121st Street
James Steigerwald, Feature Editor • April 18, 2024

Pace University’s spring play, Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Our Lady of 121st Street, premiered this past week at Arc Stages in Pleasantville. Opening...

Response to BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall
Response to "BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall"
Pace Chronicle StaffApril 12, 2024

We thank Dr. Stephanie Akunvabey, Ms. Nila Bhaumik, and Ms. Susan Donahue for taking the article, posted on March 15th, 2024, into consideration...

Graduate Attacker Sydney Juvelier(#14) leaps in celebration with teammates Nikki Mottes(#28) and Lindsay Radmann(#23) vs Adelphi University on April 10, 2024(pacewlax/IG)
#1 WLAX Overcomes #3 Adelphi in Road Test

GARDEN CITY, N.Y.-  Another top-5 matchup went to the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated the Adelphi University Panthers 12-11 on the road....

Warming Hearts and Bellies: The Legendary Rockys Deli

“You’ve never been to Rockys?!” is likely the question you’ll get if it’s mentioned in passing that you have not been to Rockys deli in Millwood, and for good reason.

Rockys has existed in Millwood since 1961 but, at Pace, Rockys has reached folklore status for those who have not been and is remembered as legendary by those who have.

If Rockys was a person, they’d probably feel embarrassed about the reputation they’ve gained at Pace. The establishment is modest despite its massive popularity. The location is small and doesn’t exactly boast the reputation it may have. This modesty stems from the current owner of Rockys, Greg Santone, who doesn’t make a big deal about the title of “President.”

“I’m the owner, dishwasher, garbage man and whatever else,” said Santone.

The business side of Rockys isn’t very apparent to most customers and because of the size of the office itself, that’s not very apparent to them either. Santone quips that if two people stand on the opposite sides of the office they won’t be able to see each other. In actuality, the office could be easily mistaken for a utility closet if it weren’t for the desk, safe and pictures of family and co-workers. Most of the space in Rockys’ basement is dedicated to serving customers. Instead of a large office, Rockys has ample storage and refrigeration space; these organizational decisions show which values the staff of the deli hold dearest.

These values are what set Rockys apart from other delis in the area. The food may be good, but the appreciation for Rockys comes from the knowledge that you’re contributing to a cultural landmark of Westchester. Rockys is a local deli, open 24 hours, and treats its customers as well as its employees. In an era of big corporations and poor customer support, Rockys is an ideal for what people want from a business.

On the business side, Rockys lives up to its reputation as well. The business creates over three million dollars in revenue a year. However, over a third of that revenue goes right back to the 45 employees.

“[Santone]’s probably one of the best bosses you’ll come across,” said Margie Messing, the overnight supervisor for Rockys. “He’s understanding and tries to accommodate everyone even if it’s just a favor. We get medical, dental, retirement plan, you don’t get that at any other deli.”

Messing has worked at Rockys for 12 years, starting when she decided to re-enter the workforce after being a housewife for 11 years. She’s worked almost every night since.

“I have one day off a week, but I never take it. I’m here every day,” said Messing.

Many of the employees have a similar dedication to their job. On Dec. 7, Rockys will have been opened for 7,665 days consecutively, making up 21 years of consistent service. The deli has never closed its doors since adopting the 24 hour policy, despite power outages and hurricanes.

Even during Hurricane Sandy Rockys stayed open. They lost power on Mon. evening and stayed open with one generator running necessities such as lights and stove tops. By Thurs., they borrowed an additional four generators and limped through the week until Sat. when power was restored. Many of the refrigerated items were thrown away and drinks couldn’t stay cold, but the deli stayed open.

On Wed. Oct. 31, Rockys experienced the busiest day of its existence. The local area didn’t have power and most people had work cancelled because of the Hurricane, which led to everyone eating at Rockys. The line was so large it looped through the store and went out into the parking lot.

“That day, by every measure, food sold, cash exchanged, people served, was the busiest day in Rockys history,” said Santone.

A similar situation occurred several years ago during Hurricane Floyd. The storm caused so much rain that the roads surrounding Rockys were completely flooded. Employees who came in for morning shifts were unable to get home and ended up working the night shift as well. Despite the extended hours, employees didn’t mind working additional nighttime hours, the time when most Pace students go to Rockys.

“Pace students are wonderful,” said Santone. “They’re good people and good customers, the overnight shift loves them.”

Messing echoes a similar viewpoint and says Pace students are much nicer than the typical drunken crowd that the overnight shift typically sees.

“They’re really good kids. I like the younger crowd; they’re less stressed,” said Messing. “On other shifts people are too uptight and in a rush. They have no time in their life to stand in a line.”

Messing thinks most of the student-aged people that go to Rockys are typically from Pace but there are other surrounding areas that have less flattering reputations at the deli.

Messing recalls one incident several years ago where a 40-person brawl broke out between Chappaqua kids and Ossining kids. Beer bottles were being used as weapons car windshields were smashed by opposing sides. Messing attributes that incident as the worst she’s seen working the overnight shift, but thinks it has calmed down in recent years.

“We get our drunken crew, but they’re not as bad as they used to be,” said Messing.

In 2011, Rockys celebrated its fiftieth year of service. The deli has consistently done well in recent years, but currently doesn’t have any plans for expansion. Santone has come close to opening other Rockys in the area but had to back out each time due to the expansions not making business sense. The idea of expanding Rockys to Pace’s campus has been brought up to Santone before.

“I’d consider it. It has been asked,” said Santone, “but after considering it there are a lot of things to do after that.”

At 52-years-old, Santone isn’t aggressively seeking any type of expansion but has thought about the future of the deli.

“Should the day come I retire, I hope somebody who knows Rockys and loves Rockys is the one to buy Rockys,” said Santone. Judging by the affection for the deli amongst Pace students, it’s possible Rockys will one day be closer to the Pace family than it already is. For now, students can enjoy the savory taste of Rockys’ sandwiches and the warm feeling that fills our hearts, or our stomachs.