Phi Sigma Sigma’s Bizarre Bazaar Barterer

Phi+Sigma+Sigma%E2%80%99s+Bizarre+Bazaar+Barterer+

Through his reputation you might think he’s a superhero and that comparison might be apt. If he was a caped crusader, he’d have 90 different powers, each with their own unique flavor. More people know him by his nickname than his actual name and his past is unknown to most of the people he helps. His real name is Steve Geisel, but attendees of Phi Sigma Sigma’s (ΦΣΣ) annual Bazaar know him as The Jam Man.

ΦΣΣ held their eighth annual Bazaar on Dec. 2 this past Sun. The event opens opportunities for poor Pace students to buy various knick-knacks and jewelry from vendors with the intent of gifting them to their loved ones. The event has its fair share of vendors but the one that sticks out every year is the Jam Man, a bearded old man whose charisma helps sell his variety of jams.

These flavors are not the type of typically offbeat attempts at originality that a major corporation like Lays potato chips might pass off as unique. These flavors contain ingredients that seem foreign to the recipe of jam and can be used in various ways.

One of the more notable flavors is Apricot Jalapeno, which has the appearance and texture of an apricot jam, but contains a noticeable spark of jalapeno spice. The apricot jalapeno is sampled with crackers, but Jam Man suggests people try new ways of using his jams including grilling, marinating, and dip, in addition to regular jam on bread or crackers.

Before he was known for his jamming proficiency, Jam Man was known as Steve Geisel, a regular man from Rockland County who worked in the computer industry. After many years in the computer industry, Geisel realized his work was consuming his life. He recalls his last year of typical work involved him traveling 321 days in a single year. He had enough traveling for a lifetime. Geisel decided to retire, but it didn’t last long.

“I did a lot of work on my golf swing but got very bored,” said Geisel.

He decided to pick up a hobby, making jam, to pass the time. Geisel’s jams became popular with neighbors and friends. He started selling jams to break even on his hobby, but soon found the need to raise some money.

Geisel’s wife, Patricia, told him about a student in a nearby school who was a diabetic, but couldn’t afford his medical costs. He decided to make some jams for his wife to sell at the school for a fundraiser to support the student. He also provided some money in case the jams weren’t selling and money couldn’t be raised for the kid, but it wasn’t needed, the jams had sold out.

From there, Geisel decided to tour his jams around local neighborhoods similar to a garage band playing at different venues. He played the song of delicious jams at various farmer markets and local events, always selling out, always getting positive reception. Eight years ago, he was invited to an event hosted at Pace called Phi Sigma Sigma’s Holiday Bazaar.

“He’s been with us all eight years,” said Anntonia Darbibri, an alumni of Pace and member of ΦΣΣ who helps with the bazaar every year. Most of the members of ΦΣΣ are fans of Geisel’s jams and feel the Jam Man has become synonymous with the event.

“People say Phi Sigma Sigma bazaar, they know the Jam Man is showing up,” said Darbibri. Geisel is experiencing the popularity in his own way.

“I’ve had people call me and place orders, they’ll pick up six or eight jars. I don’t do a lot on this side of the Tappan Zee Bridge,” said Geisel.

Geisel has a lot of success with ΦΣΣ’s bazaar and plans to keep coming back every year. His jams have been very popular in every community, but Geisel doesn’t have any plans to rush back into a life of travel and constant business management by making his jam a commercial entity. He’s left that life behind him and is embracing his new life.

“I’m known as the Jam Man. That’s who I am,” said Geisel.