Meet the Greeks: Phi Kappa Tau

Meet the Greeks: Phi Kappa Tau

All of us can agree that when we first came to Pace the number of Greek organizations on campus was an overwhelming encounter. Trying to decipher which letter was which and keeping track of who was in which organization caused confusion. However, Phi Kappa Tau’s strong presence and appealing black, red and gold make them easily distinguishable among the other Greeks.

“Our mission statement is, ‘To champion a lifelong commitment to brotherhood, learning, ethical leadership, and exemplary character,’” said senior marketing major and brother, Evan Quijano. “But that is not all that Phi Tau stands for. We are just a group of guys trying to make the best out of college.”

If one were to spend some time with the brothers, one would find that the bunch is rather spontaneous and holds themselves in a very go-with-the-flow manner. In the high stress environment that college presents us with, the boys of Phi Kappa Tau are a laid-back bunch who are happy to just chill.

“Yeah, we are serious about school,” said Quijano, “but we also know how to relax and have fun.”

Phi Kappa Tau is a national fraternity with 77 active chapters though 146 chapters have been chartered since the organizations founding in 1906 at the University of Miami of Oxford, Ohio.

“I like the opportunities I’ve had to travel and network with other schools,” said junior environmental studies major and President of the Epsilon Xi chapter of Phi Kappa Tau, James Ward. “As a national organization Phi Kappa Tau offers many opportunities to its members including leadership workshops and conventions.”

These regional events are held annually where the brothers are able to establish relationships with members in chapters from across the country.

“Scholarships are also available for initiated brothers to apply for,” said Ward.

While a national organization offers many perks to Pace’s Epsilon Xi chapter, “Working together, socializing and just being with the brothers has given me to feel a sense of camaraderie around my own chapter brothers. They are my Pace family,” said Ward.

“The group of people that are already in the organization is really the reason any person joins an organization, no one chooses based on the letter or anything,” said junior information systems major and brother, Martin Zahariev.

Zahariev’s candidness reveals the genuine brotherhood that the boys share, as opposed to any superficial or materialistic aspect that may have otherwise interested them. The brothers of Phi Kappa Tau actively support one another on both a local and national level.

Recently, the Epsilon-Xi chapter worked a benefit for one of their graduated brothers, Chris Ryff, who had been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer.

“The benefit was to raise money for a special medical treatment, and the turnout was even greater than expected,” said Ward proudly. “We took pride in our work, and comfort in the fact that this isn’t a superficial brotherhood, but one that continues even after our time at Pace.”

Phi Kappa Tau’s philanthropic contribution supports the Seriousfun Children Network Camps, which was founded in 1988 by Phi Kappa Tau, Ohio alumnus, Paul Newman. Newman opened The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, which he envisioned as being a camp for children not only with serious illnesses, but for all ages and backgrounds. Phi Kappa Tau, as a national organization, partnered with the network in 1995.The boys of Epsilon Xi will be hosting the Hole in the Wall Dinner for the Seriousfun Childrens Network Camps, formerly known as, The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp.

Ward explains, “all proceeds will go to funding state of the art adaptive camps for children with serious illnesses. These camps allow children who normally feel isolated by their conditions to feel a sense of acceptance, and to participate in activities that they normally would not be able to do.”

Nationally, Phi Kappa Tau has proudly raised over one million dollars for their philanthropy.

“We have a reputation on campus of being cocky, which is often confused with confidence,” said Quijano.

However, Phi Kappa Tau’s confident demeanor is certainly justified by their passion and success that the brothers revel in.

“When you’re involved in a Greek organization it becomes part of your identity while at the same time each member helps in defining the organization,” said Ward. “But it is not just the letters on our chest we take pride in, it is all the responsibilities, accomplishments and each other that we are proud of.”

This semester Phi Kappa Tau hopes to present more opportunities for the campus to get to know them. The boys of Epsilon Xi encourage all students to make the most of these. In addition to putting on the Hole in the Wall dinner, Phi Kappa Tau-Epsilon Xi will be co-hosting the E-Waste Drive with the Nature Club in April.