Beware the Ides of March

In addition to Mar. 15 being the anniversary of the 44B.C. assassination of Julius Caesar, according to the Roman, lunar calendar, Idus Martais is a full moon.  Although this year’s late-winter Sugar Moon will present itself on the 27, spring festivities will make their grand arrival closer to the Ides of March. With warmer weather comes greater square inches of skin exposure, louder music and a higher abundance of socializing.

“People want to spend more time outside when the weather gets nicer,” said sophomore psychology major Shannon Blankschen. “It starts looking more like a real college campus.”

The grass by the environmental center becomes an Ultimate Frisbee field and the Volleyball pit behind North a functioning tanning salon by May. Between Hurricane Sandy, Nemo, and multiple cold fronts that kept students boarded up in the stale dorms, people are looking for every excuse to get outside and soak up the mild, March sun.

“The houses become a real community again,” said senior criminal justice major, sociology minor and Townhouse RA Joey Cuccaro. “Students mingle outside more and get to know their neighbors for the first time in months.”

On most nights from late November to mid-March the Townhouses are bereft of any sign of life aside from laundry do-ers and the few stray souls making their way back from class. However, residents of dorms with hallways and communal bathrooms maintain a better connectedness throughout the year. Tolerable weather conditions are a necessity when it comes to neighborly bonding at the houses.

“Residents will even move their furniture outside,” said senior biology major, chemistry minor and Townhouse RA Kelly Fisher. “Aside from just hanging out there is a ton of KanJam.”

KanJam, a popular beach-front game, makes its appearance at the houses just in time to remind students that Spring Break is right around the corner. Until the sweet relief of vacation, Pace thrives on the hype of what is yet to come. The winter months have dwindled off  and mid-March is off and running. It’s only a matter of time before Spring Break waves its checkered flag signaling for students to peek their heads through sunroofs and reassemble the dusty, wireless speakers.

It’s Spring Fever, and Pace students plan on basking in the reemerged merriment. Beware, the Ides of March.