Club Feature: The 808’s

Club Feature: The 808’s

The Far East Movement and Ke$ha chant “It’s that 808 bump, make you put your hands up,” in their collaboration in “Fly (Like a G6)”. And Andre 3000 understands the needs of his fan base-“I know ya’ll wanted that 8-0-8, can you feel that B-A-S-S play?”.  Bassnectar abuses the digits in their song titled “808 Track” in which they recite, “808 this and an 808 that” multiple times. Aside from Pitbull, who stays true to the 305, what’s all the hype with the 808?

“An 808 is a drum machine,” said junior biology-psychology major and President of the 808’s, the Pace Step Team, Ijeoma Duru.

That would make sense, considering the fact that after all 808 references, a catchy rhythm plays. The 808’s follow a similar pattern to the artists by dropping a beat after the numbers are mentioned. However, the team does not require a drum machine – or a numerical reference – in order to hit, clap or stomp out a rhythm of its own.

“When Ijeoma and I worked in SDCA we would bond over step,” said junior English and education major Kim Walker. “We had heard that many attempts had been made at organizing a step team but nobody ever got around to actually doing it.”

The girls teamed up with their third founding member, junior childhood education major Jessica Joseph, to write up a constitution. In Spring 2011 the club was officially approved and active on the Pace Pleasantville campus. Their first debut was at the 2011 Students of Caribbean Awareness (SOCA) Fashion Show.

“Performing for the first time was the best feeling,” said Joseph.

The organization now has 15 members, both male and female participants whose skill levels range from minimal to mastery.

“Whenever we come up with a routine we break the steps into three different categories,” said Duru. “The hardest step is breaks into a medium difficulty step which can be further broken into the simplest form.”

Simplifying advanced steps, and vice versa, allows for all members to partake in whichever skill level they are able. In addition to breaking down routines, the 808’s aim to break barriers with the Greek organizations, many of which are famed for their impressive strolls. Strolling, similar to stepping, is a synchronized routine set to music, choreographed by the cultural Greek organizations. The 808’s and the Greeks find often that great beats come from partnership.

“A lot of Greeks come to us to learn,” said Walker. “We teach them different steps that they can use or help them put certain moves into songs.”

The 808s plan on hosting a Unity Step with some of the cultural, Greek organizations in the Fall 2013 as 50/50 event. 50/50 signifies the first 50 days and 50 nights of school in which organizations and clubs host programs regularly as a way to introduce themselves to new students. The Unity Step will allow Greeks to promote themselves through strolling and the 808’s will do the same through stepping. Step and stroll battles will take place, however, everyone will end with the same choreographed routine together.

The 808’s have competed before and have come close to winning. They plan on competing again at the next Step and Stroll show and promise that this time they will place, if not win!

The club meets every Wednesday at 9:15 in Miller 10 and 11. They encourage everyone to come and dance.