Setters advance to NCAA Quarterfinals
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 16, 2024

Pace is one step closer to repeating. The Setters defeated the Bentley University Falcons today, 17-10 to advance. Initially offense-filled,...

On field celebrations begin at Northwell Stadium following Pace WLAXs NE-10 Championship game victory on May 11, 2024 (pacewlax and paceuathletics/IG)
Pace WLAX Win NE-10 Title, Hosts NCAA East Regional
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 14, 2024

The title defense marches on for the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated Adelphi University 16-14 last Saturday to win the Northeast-10 Championship....

Challengers (2024) official poster
Challengers Review
Evan MahannaMay 10, 2024

Challengers, directed by Luca Guadagnino, is a new romantic sports drama that brings a fresh approach to both genres. It’s a tale of a toxic...

Convocation: Where Justice Meets Academics

Photo from Stockton Photo Inc. This year’s convocation followed last year’s theme of justice with a concentration on social class.

With the academic year underway there is no better way to begin the semester than the annual Convocation Ceremony. Since 2008, Dean for Students, Lisa Bardill Moscaritolo, and a committee of dedicated faculty and staff have organized the con- vocation. The word “convoca- tion” is derived coming from a Latin word meaning “to call or gather a for a special purpose”. In the case of Pace, Dean Lisa, along with Dean Marijo Russell- O’Grady of the New York City campus have provided incoming students of both campuses an op- portunity to meet the each other and begin the academic year by speaking about various themes pertaining to student life, such as justice.

“The idea is to introduce the newest members [students] to the Pace community,” said Dean Lisa. “Convocation sets the academic tone for the year and we at Pace chose to tie it to our academic theme.”

During committee meet- ings, Dean Lisa, in conjunction with Professor Sue Maxam and

Associate Provost, Mark Poisel, organized this event to provide our community with a sense of support. The planning for convo- cation begins about eight months prior to the start of the academic year. With debriefs and attendee feedback in mind, the theme and common reading are carefully se- lected with the student in mind.

“Last year’s theme was justice and when we were brain- storming for this year, Associate Provost Uday P. Sukhatme sug- gested keeping the theme for an- other year to build traction, which would allow students and profes- sors to incorporate justice into

their classes.” said Dean Lisa. Keeping the theme as justice allows students to develop an understanding of what justice is. Professors are now able to fur- ther integrate the theme into their courses and hold discussions about this year’s common read- ing, Class Matters. The common read touches all aspects of justice, specifically social and economic justice. But having students rec- ognize and understand the pur- pose of justice is not only about what they read, but what they hear as well. This year’s convo- cation speaker, Professor Susan Herman of the Department of Criminal Justice and Security, ad-

dressed the 1,800 attendees, first year and transfer students from both campuses, in the Goldstein Fitness Center with her experi- ence in the justice system.

Students tend to ponder what exactly goes on during the planning process of convocation. Dean Lisa and her committee take pride in what they do to serve the students, as well as their work getting the students involved in

the university. Since the project is a rather large commitment, the convocation committee has reached out to students for their input on the keynote speaker, as well as the common reading, through surveys and other forms of feedback. Students who do become involved with the Con- vocation Committee work with Professor Maxam on selecting the common reading and report

back to the committee with their thoughts. After careful consid- eration, the reading and annual theme become parallel, result- ing in the event that will impact incoming students in a positive way, encouraging their involve- ment and resulting in university unity. Is a better way to kick off the academic year with an event that may drive your outlook on life and what is “just?”