Setters advance to NCAA Quarterfinals
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 16, 2024

Pace is one step closer to repeating. The Setters defeated the Bentley University Falcons today, 17-10 to advance. Initially offense-filled,...

On field celebrations begin at Northwell Stadium following Pace WLAXs NE-10 Championship game victory on May 11, 2024 (pacewlax and paceuathletics/IG)
Pace WLAX Win NE-10 Title, Hosts NCAA East Regional
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • May 14, 2024

The title defense marches on for the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated Adelphi University 16-14 last Saturday to win the Northeast-10 Championship....

Challengers (2024) official poster
Challengers Review
Evan MahannaMay 10, 2024

Challengers, directed by Luca Guadagnino, is a new romantic sports drama that brings a fresh approach to both genres. It’s a tale of a toxic...

Lunch Buddies Program Brings Smiles for Miles

The Center for Community Action and Research (CCAR) is the go-to office for students who are looking to become more in­volved within their community. Years ago CCAR partnered with the Successful Learning Center (SLC) to create the Lunch Bud­dies Program, a program for young adults with developmental disabilities and offers them a col­lege experience.

“Many of the students are around college-age and the pro­gram really empowers them to continue to learn,” program co­ordinator of CCAR Caitlin Kelly said. “We try to familiarize stu­dents with mainstream students to show them the community of being at Pace.”

Contrary to popular belief, the students involved in the Lunch Buddies Program/SLC are very involved on campus and during campus functions. Students can be spotted at Pace athletic events sporting Pace gear and cheering on the teams to the fullest extent. The students in the program ben­efit from it through the support of their peers who show them the ropes of being a student at heart.

“Lunch Buddies really is a so­cial program,” Kelly said. “It’s structured to build interaction amongst our students.”

In addition to the support of individuals across campus, mem­bers of the Gamma Sigma Sigma Sorority have been a helping hand in the student engagement of the Lunch Buddies program. The so­rority’s members are around to have casual conversations and in­teract with students during a vari­ety of different campus activities.

“It is a great feeling to be able to just sit with a fellow Pace stu­dent for an hour and converse about your favorite actors or mu­sic,” senior political science major Marelina Ortiz said.

On Halloween, SLC hosted a Halloween Party for their students and the Pace community. There were games, crafts while interac­tion and learning more about one another were also incorporated, as socializing is an integral part of the program.

Since students are at Pace for learning as well, a special com­mencement ceremony will be held for them as well. During this cere­mony, students are awarded a cer­tificate for each class they com­plete. Their classes include but are not limited to art, music, and even a Glee class. Each student is recognized for his accomplish­ments and the great efforts that have been put into an education.

“The greatest contribution is time,” said Ortiz. “Sometimes all anyone needs is a friend, and hav­ing someone to listen to and share experiences with is what college is all about. SLC fosters that type of dynamic and is what makes Pace unique.”

The Lunch Buddies program is a rewarding experience for all of those involved.

. On Nov. 9, the program is headed to a local bowling alley for a Saturday full of fun.

To register for the Bowling Trip with CCAR and the Success­ful Learning Center, or to learn how to become a lunch buddy, please contact Caitlin Kelly ck­[email protected].