Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Alpha Chi Rho Gives Back With Santa

Students posed with Alpha Chi Rhos very own Santa during common hour to raise money for Relay for life. (Photos provided by Joe Robinson)
Emily
Students posed with Alpha Chi Rho’s very own Santa during common hour to raise money for Relay for life. (Photos provided by Joe Robinson)

The Alpha Chi Rho (AXP) Fraternity has given fundrais­ing a holiday twist this year. The brothers have spent the past few weeks raising money for various non-profit organizations. Cur­rently the organization being fun­draised for is the American Can­cer Society: Relay for Life.

AXP supports various phi­lanthropies such as the Autism Society of America, Habitat for Humanity, Children Voice Foun­dation and Feed the Children. They also participated in Relay for Life last year, where they raised $4,600 and were the top organization for fundraising at Pace.

“We are hoping to raise at least $10,000 for the upcoming Relay for Life this coming spring,” ju­nior communications major, Vice President and Philanthropy Chair of Alpha Chi Rho Joseph Robin­son said. “Not too long ago, some of our alumni mentioned taking pictures with Santa and emailing them to students.”

AXP executed that plan on Wed. Dec. 4. During common hour they hosted “Pictures with Santa” in the Kessel Student Cen­ter for a second time that week. The brothers expected to have a good turn out and to raise a fair amount of donations. And with much surprise and excitement, students filled the surrounding area, donating to take a picture with Santa.

“Well, Joe came up with the idea and I kind of volunteered myself to be Santa,” senior ac­counting major Richard Wil­son said. “At first I was a little nervous, but we raised a good amount of money. It was a sur­prising experience, I enjoyed it.”

The students who were taking the pictures enjoyed it as well.

“I did it for the cause. I’ve always have a soft spot for kids with cancer,” junior nursing ma­jor, Anasia Campbell said. “I en­joyed it; it was like reliving my childhood.”

By the looks of it, organiza­tions are bringing positive vibes to campus during the holidays. “Santa” says that it was a won­derful feeling, seeing different faces and their smiles. He also said this is a wonderful way to raise awareness and funds for charity.

Alpha Chi Rho and “Santa” attended the annual Phi Sigma Sigma Holiday Bazaar that was held on December 8, 2013. The brothers were able to make $61 at the Bazaar, totaling in $119 in donations over the last week. Robinson says they plan on doing this fundraiser again next year.