Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Phi Sigma Sigma’s Holiday Bazaar: Bringing the Community Together Through Shopping

Emily

Holiday shopping has begun and students all over campus look for ways to get that special gift for their loved ones. One organiza­tion, Phi Sigma Sigma National Sorority hosted their annual Holi­day Bazaar on December 8th just in time to fill that need.

“The bazaar is a tradition for our chapter,” senior accounting major and President of the Delta Omega Chapter, Courtney Dillon said. “One of our alumni created the event nine years ago and it’s one of our annual events.”

But the bazaar isn’t what some may think it is. Though there are unique crafts, there are vendors for all types of individuals from can­dles to clothing, and even the fa­mous “Jam Man.” Taking place on a Sunday, Phi Sigma Sigma takes advantage of the community to in­volve them in a tradition they hold near and dear to their organization.

“We do collect donations for the National Kidney Foundation, which is our national philanthro­py,” Dillon said.

The Special Events Committee of Phi Sigma Sigma began plan­ning this holiday fun-filled event during the summer to make it what it was on Sunday. With a commit­tee of eight sisters, Special Events Chair, Maria Lane, was able to develop a strategy for this year’s event and a little more.

“The event is not only open to the Pace community, but the neighboring towns as well,” soph­omore biology major and Special Events Chair, Maria Lane said. “We go into the local community to advertise and it attracts a larger crowd, especially since it is holi­day shopping.”

By working with one of their alumni, also the creator of the event, Maria and her committee work with her to build their ven­dor list. Many vendors are recur­ring, like the Jam Man, but also other merchandise. The commit­tee ensures that there is a variety to serve the needs of attendees by capping the number of vendors for each category, for example there may only be six individuals sell­ing jewelry. But that’s not all.

“A woman contacted me per­sonally and her husband recently had a kidney donated and she re­ally wanted to be here,” Lane said. “She sells hand-painted glass, so we really have a variety of unique vendors, in addition to their sto­ries. The impact is overwhelming and you can really feel it when you speak to them.”

Students who attended range from newcomers to alumni, each finding something unique for that special someone. It’s also an op­portunity to purchase something for yourself without breaking the bank, since many vendors dis­count their merchandise for stu­dents.

“I’ve attended for the past three years,” senior education ma­jor, Charlie Link said. “I didn’t do any holiday shopping this year, but I did do some personal shop­ping.”

Regardless of the type of shop­ping, it’s the impact Phi Sigma Sigma leaves for the campus and the people who benefit from it. The impact left on campus, the vendors, and community is what Lane hopes to be overwhelmingly strong.

“I think it’s a great event that’s different and not only gets the campus involved, but the local community,” Link said.

And the community is exactly who the member of Phi Sigma Sigma want to target. With the 10th Anniversary only a year away, there’s much to prepare, including expanding their ever-growing vendor list. Maria Lane expressed their interest in reach­ing out to other towns near Pace to invite next year. They plan on staying in their Wilcox location, but having a unique turnout next year.

For more information about the Holiday Bazaar or to recom­mend a vendor, please contact Ma­ria Lane at [email protected].