ALS Hosts Annual Talent Show

Catharine Conway, Opinion Editor

Alpha Lambda Sigma (ALS) held its second annual “Almost Anything Goes Talent Show” and raised $700 last Thurs. April 3.

All proceeds went to their main philanthropy, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, which aims to cure and prevent HIV/AIDS in children and educate about the disease.

Emceed by sophomore ALS members Sara Genova and Rachel Aviles, the show kicked off with a full and attentive audience.

With eight performances from a variety of groups, the night went smoothly and was filled with cheers, laughter, and excitement.

Acts ranged from solo rap artists to group lip syncing, complete with matching red bow ties and suspenders.

The panel of three judges included sophomore Christian Ruiz, ALS alumnus Laeh Yang-DiPietro, and Martin Hall Resident Director Vinnie Birkenmeir.

Third place was awarded to The Young Crows, and the Tumblr Weeds received second place. Both groups performed dance routines to a mash up of pop songs.

First place went to sophomore English and communications major Taylor Longenberger, who performed a modern dance to the song “My Immortal [Band Version]” by Evanescence.

“Dancing has long been a passion of mine, so when I was asked to participate in the ALS talent show I immediately said yes,” Longenberger said. “It was an uplifting experience to be a part of an event that had such a wonderful sense of community and was for a great cause.”

ALS President Kendall Cheney  added that the annual event is always very successful and attracts and audience from all different backgrounds.

“It was sweet for alumni to come back and watch us put on a talent show that every single sister since our founding has put on for their generation of Pace. It was awesome to introduce my big as a judge because last year she was the one hosting it,” Aviles said. “I hope in the future, my pledge class, the Alpha Gammas, will be able to perform their own song and dance.”

ALS encourages everyone to participate in their talent show next spring, and support the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS foundation through future fundraisers.