LUL Takes Blind Dating To The Extreme

LUL Takes Blind Dating To The Extreme

TAYLOR LONGENBERGER, News Editor

Pace’s Lambda Upsilon Lambda (LUL) fraternity took blind dating to the extreme in their event, “Are You The One?” held on Nov. 5 in the Pace Perk.

In an attempt to create anonymity, each participant was given a number that corresponded to a pre-speed dating survey. The five questions in the survey ranged from matters of general preference, “What do you put in the bowl first, the cereal or the milk?” to questions regarding one’s sexual activities, “How long should you wait before you have sex?”

Roughly 30 guests at the event were invited to put on a blindfold and take part in speed dating, where they were randomly matched with a person of the opposite gender based on their survey.

Students were given general topics to discuss as they met with each new person for their date, such as turn-ons and turn-offs, what one looks for in a relationship, and what one finds attractive.

Although the event was focused on romantic relationships, it also provided a new way to get to know someone.

“Personally, I was really nervous because the event is geared towards a heterosexual community and does not cater to the LGBTQ Community, but overall it was interesting to meet new people,” participant of the event Kirk Pineda said.

Many of the students at the event were not expecting to be blindfolded, and, at first, some were uncomfortable with the idea. However, students were provided with the ability to really get to know the person sitting across from them based only on their number and what they said.

“Using blindfolds, although nerve-racking at first, worked well to keep anonymity and really got rid of that first look or judgment,” Pineda, who is a sophomore commuter, said. “As much as we try not to, we all do it and not being able to see the person you are talking to really forces you to get to know them based on what they have to say.”

After the allotted time for each pair was over, both parties were able to either hold up a card in order to stay or to switch and have a new partner.

The event concluded with all participants removing their blindfolds and seeing who had been sitting across from them, revealing who their blind date had been.