Mortola Library Turns Inside Out After Hours on Saturday Night

JAMES BEST, Featured Writer

The Mortola Library was filled with joy, sadness, anger, fear, and disgust on Saturday night as the Student Government Association (SGA) and Programming Board teamed up with library staff to give students an Inside Out themed after-hours party.

Students participated in games of Twister, Air Hockey, and an Inside Out game of Life.

Tables were filled with different colored candies representing the four main characters and emotions.

Students even got the chance to eat the broccoli and cheese pizza that was inspired by a scene from the movie.

Vice President of Programming Meaghan Biggs said that the purpose of the event was to bring some life to the library by using it in a different way.

“We really wanted to open to make it fun and exciting and make people want to be here other than just to study,” Biggs said. “We wanted to try and do this thing more often, we want to show a movie or a TV show the week before and have a library themed party. This is definitely going to be an annual thing if not a monthly thing.”

Library Director Steve Feyl also spoke about the new uses of the library and creating a more social environment for students.

“We were trying to come up a creative way of taking a Saturday night when we close and doing something positive for the community, working with SGA, working with [Student Development and Campus Activities] to do something good for the campus,” Feyl said.

Feyl believes that working with students to figure out what they are interested in will help in engaging more participation for events in the library.

“We don’t always know what students want to do. So we have to talk with Student Government, talk with Programming Board and think creatively about using our spaces because why can’t we do a certain event like this, or use our patio for something fun,” Feyl said.

Some other plans the library has for using their space is possibly having live entertainment or throwing a party after hours.

“There’s a purpose for bringing people together. It builds community. I think there are a lot of opportunities,” Feyl said.