Setter’s Profile: Veteran Student Cameron Neivert

Veteran student Cameron Neivert poses with fellow Marines and Coast Guard members after a training drill in 2011

(Courtesy of Cameron Neivert)

Veteran student Cameron Neivert poses with fellow Marines and Coast Guard members after a training drill in 2011 (Courtesy of Cameron Neivert)

Michelle Ricciardi, Editor in Chief

His demeanor is authoritative yet respectful. Everything about his exterior, from his muscular frame, standing just shy of six feet tall, his 27 tattoos, and his military cap, could be perceived as intimidating. However, veteran student Cameron Neivert is both a Marine and a self-proclaimed “teddy bear.”

The 28-year-old veteran served in the United States Marine Corps as a Low Altitude Air Defense (LAAD) gunner, providing ground-based air defense support to the Marine Air-Ground Task Force (MAGTF).

Yet even during his time in the military, Neivert found time to express himself through poetry.

“When I was deployed me and another buddy of mine would write poetry. There was a small library and we would just grab some books and flip to a page,” said Neivert. “We [chose] a word and we’d use it to start our poems. We called it D-P-S…‘Dead poets society.’ In our off-times from doing patrols or whatnot it was a way to relax and release your thoughts.”

Poetry is not the only art form that Neivert is passionate about.

“After high school and before the Marine Corps, I went to [Westchester Community College] and was a performing arts major,” said Neivert. “[I focused] mainly in piano and recording engineering.”

Neivert, who will graduate this December with a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies, which is concentrated in psychology with a minor in art, plans to obtain a Master’s degree in Mental Health Counseling or in Fine Arts Ceramics.

“Last fall semester I took ceramics with Professor Margaret Yost, who was a Marine in the late sixties and early seventies,” said Neivert. “She has a very stern way of teaching but she is an amazing professor.”

The veteran student has sculpted and painted more than 30 pieces since taking his first ceramics class.

“I love using the potter’s wheel. It’s therapeutic,” said Neivert. “There have been studies done saying that there are microscopic organisms in the wet clay and that the interaction between these organisms and humans have a calming effect.”

Neivert said that he has tried to encouraged fellow veteran students to take Professor Yost’s ceramics class but that they are hesitant.

“When most people think of a veteran or a Marine, they don’t think of an artist. There’s nothing wrong with taking art,” said Neivert. “I’ve always loved breaking stereotypes hence why I’m a poet and an artist. I’m like a big cuddly teddy bear.”