The Abyss of the Sound Choir Brings A Musical Outlet to Pace Students

Members+of+the+Abyss+of+Sound+Choir+

Alyssa Chambers

Members of the Abyss of Sound Choir

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

The Abyss of the Sound Choir, a sound choir group, was recently launched last year by Alyssa Chambers, a sophomore at Pace, in order to give Pace students a musical escape.

Students of all musical backgrounds are welcomed in the group and are encouraged to join in on their performances on campus.

“It gets a bit complicated because we do have a pep band on campus and they’re more focused on instruments, but we welcome anyone who wants to be involved and can play an instrument,” said Chambers.

Several members of the choir group have never sung professionally and didn’t feel comfortable with their singing voices when they first walked in to the club meeting, however, they gradually end up becoming more comfortable.

Chambers, the President of Abyss of the Sound Choir, has been passionate about singing since she was four years old and has performed with several professional singers. She uses many vocal and breathing exercises that she has learned throughout the years in order to help train new voices.

“We want everyone to feel comfortable with their singing voices in a safe environment, over time as they do the voice and breathing exercises, their voices start to get trained and they have more control over it,” said Chambers.

Currently, the group’s performances are requested by other clubs or organizations on campus through Orgsync early in the semester or a few weeks in advance in order to give the group enough time to prepare.

However, although the group has performances for other on-campus events, the group is considered a club on campus. Chambers has several aspirations for the future of the group and hopes to take Abyss of the Sound Choir to competitions in other schools.

“I hope that we can be a professional performance group in the future competing with other colleges. For now, I’m glad everyone is having fun and we’re performing the best we can,” said Chambers.

The Abyss of the Sound Choir’s motto when it comes to performances is to make the mistakes during rehearsal and embrace the mistakes so that they can learn from it and can put on the best performance that they are capable of.

Chambers believes that in order to transition from club to performance group, the members and future members of the club have to have a change in mindset and have to want to perform in these competitions in order to truly become a competitive group.

“Abyss of the Sound Choir brings the musical aspect that has been missing on this campus to Pace,” said Chambers. “It gives students an outlet to just enjoy music and use it as a form of meditation.”