Pride Prom Brings Out the High School Senior in Pace Students

Students+on+the+dance+floor+of+Pride+Prom.+

Adiba Sikder

Students on the dance floor of Pride Prom.

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

Pride at Pace brought out the high school senior in everyone during their Pride Prom event at Willcox on Saturday in an effort to help students that weren’t able to fully express who they are at their own prom.

When first entering Willcox Hall, several red carpets were put out for students to walk down and a decorated wall inside the multipurpose room for students to take pictures in.

The room was dim with tables set out with decorations and party favors and a rainbow disco ball. There were several projections with a slideshow that said “It’s okay to be gay.”

The atmosphere made it very comfortable for students who identify as anyone in the LGBTQ plus community to be who they are in a space that openly accepts who they are.

“The idea actually came from one of the members of Pride at Pace. She told us that a lot of people don’t get to go to prom while out and don’t get to express who they are because schools can be so strict,” said Jenny Marbella, member of Pride at Pace.

Students openly expressed who they were and wore the clothes that they felt most comfortable in ranging from prom dresses, tuxes, and jeans and a shirt and danced with each other with no fear of being judged by their peers.

“I think this event brings connectedness. That’s the best word for it. I wouldn’t have missed this event for the world,” said David Berhardt, member of Pride at Pace.

There was a diverse amount of students that came to the event in order to show their support for the community including significant others, friends, and allies of the LGBTQ plus communities.

“I came here to show support for the LGBTQ plus community. I think that it’s not fair that some students didn’t get to be who they are at their prom because prom is supposed to be special for high school seniors,” said Stephanie Simoes, junior at Pace.

Pride at Prom gave many students a chance to recreate prom in the way they imagined it to be and gave them a part of their high school career that they never thought they would get back.

“When kids go to a prom in high school and they’re not allowed to be themselves, it takes away a lot of the fun,” said Cheyenne Mascaro, junior at Pace. “This gives them that part of that childhood back. It’s not just for Pride, it’s everyone coming together.”

The love and support that everyone had for each other was clear when Lindita Kulla, student at Pace, took the microphone in order to declare her love and appreciation for everyone in the room as an ally.