Film Appreciation Program At Pace Hosts Jaws on the Lawn

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

Students gathered on Miller Lawn on Friday with friends, blankets, and popcorn for Jaws on the Lawn, an event hosted by the Film Appreciation Program of Pace.

The club members welcomed guests and offered popcorn and pizza for them to eat while the movie went on.

Although the weather was against the Film Appreciation Program of Pace, several students came out with their friends to enjoy the classic movie, some people were watching “Jaws” for the first time.

“I actually fell over my seat because the suspense was too much for me. A lot of people were watching the movie from inside because it was getting too cold but couldn’t stop watching because they were so drawn to the movie,” said Rachel Skopp-Cardillo, sophomore at Pace.

For many students this was a way for them to relieve some of the stresses and anxieties of the end of the semester and be social with friends they haven’t seen in weeks.

“I haven’t been able to hang out with my friends and just watch movies in so long. I love “Jaws,” it’s a classic,” said Melissa DiNucci, junior at Pace.

Members of the Film Appreciation Program At Pace advocate for students to put the phone down and actively interact with each other and do the things they haven’t done in a long time.

“People have to go outside and socialize somehow. Sitting at your computer all day and doing homework is not healthy either. People need to be more social,” said Patrick Murphy, member of the Film Appreciation Program At Pace.

Members and new e-board members of the Film Appreciation Program hope to make the club more inclusive for students because they have more male members than female members.

“It’s a common misconception that we’re a boy club but we’re open to everybody,” said Nick Aquilino, president of the Film Appreciation Program At Pace.

The Film Appreciation Program actively films student projects and allows anyone that wants to get involved take part in any film project and incorporates everyone’s ideas in order to create something that everyone in the group can be proud of.

“People normally think that it’s just film students that make the movies for our club but it’s open to anyone, it just takes commitment and a lot of planning,” said Aquilino.

He hopes that in the future, there will be a more diverse group of people that are involved in the club and to have more people committed to filming projects.