Cristian Martinez: A Model Who Expresses Feelings Through Fashion

Brian Del Toro

Martinez posing during one of his photo shoots.

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

The first time Cristian Martinez posed in front of a camera, he felt exhilaration and complete freedom of self expression.

Over time, the 19-year-old has built an extensive social media following and modeling portfolio that many early models do not have at the start of their career.

“It’s all about being comfortable reaching out to photographers and networking,” said Martinez. “You have to be comfortable talking to photographers that may be out of your league.”

Martinez was introduced to his love for fashion and modeling by his older brother, who then introduced him to photographers.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Cristian Martinez??? (@thescene_calledlife) on

When the Bronx native first started modeling, he was introduced to some unconventional fashion statements and modeling circumstances.

“The first time I had to touch a woman and pose intimately was uncomfortable,” Martinez said. “You have to be completely comfortable because the camera picks up the discomfort even if you don’t see it.” 

View this post on Instagram

He stresses that comfort in front of the camera is not as easy and effortless as models may make it seem and has experienced several photo shoots where photographers can be very structured and expect models to be comfortable in their own skin.

Martinez also has interest in being a stylist that brings out the personality in individuals rather than dressing them in whatever he would wear.

“Fashion is all about self-expression and I just want to help people bring out their best selves through fashion,” said Martinez.

Since coming to Pace, Martinez believes that he has gained the capability of expanding his portfolio further because of the amount of photographers looking to expand their work experience on this campus.

“I just really want to get my name out there,” said Martinez. “…I want to have a successful modeling career by the time I’m twenty-one.”

Although Martinez has an undying love affair with fashion and modeling, he is currently an undecided major leaning towards health sciences.

“I use fashion as a way to express myself without words,” said Martinez.

He acknowledges that making it in the fashion industry is extremely difficult and feels secure in knowing that he has a safety plan.

“Modeling is my first choice. I’ve told everyone that if a modeling company picks me up, I’m going to go with it,” said Martinez.

Martinez compares his ability to balance his modeling career with being a full-time student as someone who goes to school and has a part-time job.

“These two parts of my lives are completely separate,” said Martinez.

The advice he has for other new models is to step out of your comfort zone and to make the connections that you wouldn’t typically make.