1984 Horror Flick Filmed at Pace One of the Funniest ‘Scary’ Movies You’ll Ever See

With Halloween approaching, let’s look back at this cult horror film shot at Pace in the 80s.

YouTube

Splatter University is so cheesy, that it’s good.

Jake Maddia, Arts & Entertainment Writer

Splatter University, a “horror” movie from 1984 that was filmed at Pace, revolves around a sociology professor at a new school who starts to get suspicious when she realizes a series of murders happening around her on campus. For all fans of horror movies out there, I am going to be honest. This movie falls under the same categories as movies that are so bad that they are good. These movies include The Room, Trolls 2, Plan 9 from Outer Space, etc.

The absolute worst aspect of this movie is without a doubt the acting. It is so cringe-worthy that it is laughable. Nearly every time a character is about to be killed, it is almost impossible to feel any sort of sympathy for them because of how terrible the characters come across. However, the movies cringe-worthy acting is nothing compared to the film’s written characters.

Now, to be fair, the reason why the characters come across as poorly written could be because of the acting. However, that being said, the characters in this movie are so annoying that all you will do is hope that they will just die as soon as possible. There is one character in particular named “Wolf” who, in my opinion, is even more annoying than the character of Annie from John Carpenter’s original Halloween from 1978. This character is so bothersome and badly acted that you just want him to die so you do not have to watch him anymore.

The film is also extremely poorly written. The script to this movie genuinely reads like a comedy. Another problem with the script is that so many lines make no sense at all. Like if this movie was not made in the 80’s, I would assume that it was written by Tommy Wiseau, who directed, wrote, and starred in the famously bad cult movie The Room.

Aside from the writing and the acting, the movie has a lot of technical problems in it as well. It looks like it was shot with the worst camera imaginable. Honestly, you do not even need to be a movie buff to notice that something was off.

Rounding off the laundry list of terrible, the film has a really cheesy score. It is not the worst musical score I have ever heard in a movie but it just does not fit in with this genre at all. The score sounds like it belongs in a science fiction movie as opposed to a horror movie. There are also so many scenes in the movie where the score is unnecessarily used that it is laughable.

Splatter University is just so bad that it’s good. The only scary aspects to this movie are that it actually tried to be horror and that it was filmed on this campus. If you want to have a good time and get together with friends this Halloween to laugh at a really bad movie then definitely check out Splatter University. But, if you genuinely want a scary movie, then you should probably check out the new Halloween film.