Phi Sigma Sigma Brings the Talent

The+talent+show+gave+students+the+opportunity+to+showcase+their+prowess.+

Alexis Nieman

The talent show gave students the opportunity to showcase their prowess.

Alexis Nieman, Media Editor

Each year, the sorority Phi Sigma Sigma hosts a talent show in order to fundraise and showcase local Pace talent while raffling off some prizes. The talent show returned this past Tuesday night and talent of any age or kind were welcome to show their skills to the full crowd in the Kessel Student Center’s Gottesman room. 

This year, the prizes included a Michael Kors watch, a Michael Kors bag and earrings, a relaxation basket, a coffee basket and a movie basket. Three judges would decide the winner in the end. The judging panel consisted of a Phi Sigma Sigma alumna, a graduate assistant student, and the student director of Student Development and Career affairs.

The talent that came out to perform was mostly of the musical variety, including vocalists, guitarists, and a harmonicist—with one stand-up comedy act. Seven performers in total showcased their abilities. 

Phi Sigma Sigma member Megan White was satisfied with the amount of attendees who came out to support their chapter.

“This was not a co-sponsored event, meaning there was no club or team that it was mandatory for them to be here,” White said. “That means that everyone that came out is just here to support us and have fun so that means a lot to us.”

Greek life chapters have to do a certain amount of co-sponsored events each year. Although this is not the biggest fundraiser that the sorority does, the talent show does bring in a lot of new talent and spectators each year. Sorority member Lizzie Frisher is happy with the talent that the event attracts.

“This was a really good turnout this year,” Frisher said. “The performers have all been very good and entertaining.”

Phi Sigma Sigma will continue to hold this event in future years, and ones similar to it, to fundraise for their chapter.

“We do a lot of fundraising events throughout the school year including this one,” White said. “We hope people come out to support us.”