Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Fall Semester to Start and End a Week Earlier?

If actions speak louder than words than Pace’s current fall semester scheduling conveys the message “if you don’t commute, you’re dead to us.” Pace’s notorious scheduling system is a double-edged sword. It allows students to start college a week later and savor seven extra days of summer, but adds that missing week back at the end of the year which gets dangerously close to the Christmas holiday.

For commuters, leaving school on Dec. 21st means a heightened possibility of driving in the snow or maybe a little more traffic than expected, but overall it isn’t a huge issue. However, for students who live out of state the problem is monumental as airfare tickets skyrocket for each day closer to Christmas.

Pace’s scheduling committee has taken notice of the issue and is taking the first step in an expected long process.

“I want to be very clear on this: it’s not the administration and it’s not even something that is concrete. It’s a proposal,” said director of SDCA Rachel Carpenter, who serves on the scheduling committee which recently suggested starting school the week before Labor Day and ending Dec. 16th. Carpenter stressed the point that having an idea doesn’t translate to its immediate implementation. “The faculty council and provost have the final say in the schedule,” said Carpenter. The proposal has significant student support.

“I personally believe it’s a great decision. It’s hard to find a plane ticket to Ohio two days before Christmas,” said junior applied psychology major and Ohio resident Angeline Ochere. Ochere explained that last semester her final was scheduled on the last possible day, Dec. 21st, due to weather conditions cancelling days of her class earlier in the semester. This led to increased expenses for her out-of-state travel but even for New York residents Pace’s schedule is off compared to other schools.

“I like the idea. It’s more in line with what other college campuses have,” said sophomore information technology major and Long Island resident David Wallack, “every other university has a uniformed routine but ours is slightly displaced.”

Carpenter attended Pace’s Student Government Association on Feb. 15th to poll student senators on the proposal. The idea received unanimous approval with many of the senators bringing up familiar issues such as airfare price hikes and complications with dorm residents who have to check out hours before their flight the next day.

“The residence life staff can’t be dismissed until their buildings are empty,” said Carpenter.

Out-of-state students who stay for their last final but book flights the day after school officially ends are left in traveling-limbo. Without a school that with house them or a plane to take them away, students who find themselves in this situation have to argue with department heads for earlier finals or work out arrangements to stay at friend’s house before their flight. Carpenter names Residence Life complications as one of the many facets that keep the scheduling issue from being a simple date change.

“Faculty staff raised the possibility of not observing the Jewish holidays,” said Carpenter, “others suggested not observing any holidays. It’s a much bigger conversation.”

Despite the positive reception, the proposal will take a great deal of continuous support and multi-department cooperation before the idea is implemented. Carpenter’s most optimistic prediction says the schedule will be officially changed in 2015, two years from now.

Students will have their opportunity to speak on this issue, and whatever else plagues their mind, at the community meeting with President Friedman and staff on March 20th during common hour in Gottessman hall.