Seeing Like a Woman in the Seidenberg School

The Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems has seen a smaller percentage of women in the population of students than it has men.

According to the Office of Student Assistance (OSA), it is still too early to determine the ex- act number of graduating males and females from the Seidenberg School. In general there are more males than females in the school, so the numbers are expected to reflect that ratio for graduation. With technology as the fastest changing and biggest part of everyday life for many students, male and female, the Seidenberg School encourages students to hop on the train to learn more about the technology they use. Senior informations technology major Gina Pittore and senior information systems and quantitative business analysis major Hannah Cherian are two of the few female students that will be graduating from the school this spring.
“When you think about it, technology is really the forefront of everything,” Pittore said. “Our world revolves around it and I can go into virtually any market I want to.”

Although technological jobs have been mainly performed by men, the field has progressively incorporated more and more women.

“In fact, I once got asked by a male student on the first day of class ‘if I was intimidated that I was the only girl in the class,’” Cherian said. “At times it has felt a bit intimidating; solely on the fact that sometimes I have been the only girl in my class. But I also see it as rewarding because it sets me apart from the norm and although it may be challenging at times, I take it on as a learning experience. I’ve had to work extra hard to prove to myself that I am just as capable of performing the same as the males in the classroom.”

With many students thinking more with the times and the age of technology, the Seidenberg School has grown in size. The low number of students in the school gives the program a com- munity-like feel as opposed to an impersonal institution.

“…it is great to have the same people in most classes as we all support each other,” Cherian said. “In my four years of being a Seidenberg student, I have definitely been challenged but I am grateful to be in a school with wonderful professors who really are passionate about the study of information technology.”

Through the Seidenberg School, there are many opportunities to become involved and advance in networking and re- search. Females that take advantage of these research opportunities and internships stand out.

“I am currently part of the Undergraduate Research Pro- gram,” Cherian said. “I am working with Dr. Constance Knapp and our topic of research is Data Mining in Customer Analytics. I had the opportunity to take Database Management with Dr. Knapp and we would discuss data mining and other techniques organizations use alongside predictive analytics, and we decided to do research together! This is a great program and I am definitely learning how to conduct research, something very different from outside the classroom and internships.”

Internships and jobs in the technology field may seek females to enhance the diversity of their staff. Each company is different, but the experience of the Seidenberg School for males or females helps to prepare for the real world.

“It is very unlikely to find females in this field so I do think that could have set me out from the other candidates. I feel like if anything as a female intern in technology, working with all men, you’re almost expected to prove yourself more,” Pittore said. “Ultimately when it comes down to being successful in an internship environment ignore gender and just work hard! It pays off, trust me. Two days ago VIACOM extended my intern- ship into the spring! You never know what opportunities are going to present themselves if you apply yourself correctly!”