Photo Courtesy of Pace Athletics.
Softball Sweeps Doubleheader vs Georgian Court
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 20, 2024

LAKEWOOD, N.J.- Pace picked up two road wins versus Georgian Court University yesterday afternoon. Game 1 went Pace's way with a final score...

Front of Miller Hall. Photo Courtesy of webpage.pace.edu
President Krislov on Campus Involvement and School-Town Relations
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 18, 2024

This article is on the topic of on-campus involvement and school/town relations. For the article about academics, the article about student life,...

Outside of the Office of SGA
Diaz And Tracey Wins 2024 SGA Election
Pace Chronicle StaffMarch 15, 2024

Incumbent President Nick Diaz and Vice President Paris Tracey have won reelection to their respective offices in the Student Government Association....

Guest policy in question after security conflicts

Guests at Pace have been causing more problems this past semester than the residents that live on campus, yet the hosting students are the ones responsible for their guests.

According to the Pace Resi­dent’s Handbook, “Residents assume all responsibility for the actions of their guests and must accompany them at all times. This means your guests are not permitted to wander the residence halls or areas of your Townhouse without you; nor may they remain in your room, unaccompanied, when you are elsewhere.”

In the past semester there have been several occasions where guests have caused not only minor disturbances on cam­pus, conflicts that needed cam­pus security and police involve­ment.

In a minor disturbance, the Resident Director (RD) and Res­ident Assistants (RAs) on duty control the situation and follow up with incident reports or write ups when necessary. In the event that major illegal activity occurs, such as destruction of property or assault, security and police will be called to the scene.

“There are two security vehi­cles on the Pleasantville campus and one on the Briarcliff campus at all times,” Executive Director of Safety and Security Vincent Beatty said. “If it is determined that police are necessary they are radioed over the 24-hour dis­patch. Security stands by until police are called and arrive at the scene.”

In the last semester the Mount Pleasant Police Department, which has jurisdiction over both the Pleasantville and Briarcliff campuses, has been called to the campus due to illegal actions several times. The police can be called to the campus due to ille­gal or medical emergencies.

“It is preferable that calls to the police go through security,” Beatty said. “Police don’t always know where things are on cam­pus. They are more familiar with the residence halls but if it is in one of the academic buildings they may not know where to go. If it is an emergency, especially a medical one students should call 911.”

When guests cause a disrup­tion on campus, whether police are involved or not, the actions to follow are based on what se­curity and the Resident Staff or Area Director deem necessary. Students that are responsible for the guests are also subject to consequences.

“A complaint against a stu­dent can be filed at any time,” Beatty said. “The dean and area director decide action to follow. “It is possible that the student can be banned from campus.”

For any individual that is asked to leave and is banned from campus, they are referred to as a “persona non grata” mean­ing “person not welcome.” The vehicle information and names of the banned students’ guests are at the gates of the Pleasant­ville and Briarcliff campuses and are given to Residential staff.

According to the Resident’s Handbook, “Guest privileges may be revoked for violation of University policies, and guests may be prohibited from Univer­sity property indefinitely. In ad­dition, the Residence Life Staff may, at any time, require a guest to vacate any residence hall.”

Guests that cause major dis­ruptions on campus are most of­ten asked to leave and escorted out or banned from the campus. Students that are responsible for these guests may be asked to leave the resident hall and be banned from housing, but a case-to-case basis may be taken.

Through major disturbances this semester, students and guests have both found out that the ac­tions that they take can have consequences that can remove them from campus. Students with guests are reminded that they should make sure to follow policy, including remaining with a guest and knowing where they are and what they are doing at all times.