The cast of Our Lady Of 121st Street at Arc Stages. 
Left to right: Jillian Hinz, Evan Mahanna, Patrick Purcell, Belle Duddie, Kendall Key, Marquise McCullough, Lilah McCormack, Darius Tiru, Leanna Ward, Michaela Elyse Williams, Faith Andrews,  Payton Cocchia.
Pace University's Spring Play: Our Lady of 121st Street

Pace University’s spring play, Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Our Lady of 121st Street, premiered this past week at Arc Stages in Pleasantville. Opening...

Alternative Spring Break To Provide Relief

Typically, students travel to Florida or Cancun for spring break, but the 2014 Alternative Spring Break (ASB) allows students to make a difference by providing relief to those affected by Superstorm Sandy in the Rockaways.

Although the Superstorm hit New York City on October 29, 2012, many residents, especially in the Rockaway area, are still recovering from the lasting effects of the storm.

“Students are representing Pace University on this trip,” Program Coordinator of the Pleasantville campus Caitlin Kelly said. “We are looking for people who are motivated, mature, and ready to give it their all.”

Pace as a whole, combining both the New York City (NYC) and Pleasantville (PLV) campuses, will work together with the Friends of Rockaway organization to help recover and prepare the area for future hurricanes. The group will be connected with the St. Bernard project that helped with the original support given to the victims of Sandy.

The trip for ASB will begin on Mon. March 17 and will run until Thurs. March 20.

On the first day, students will have transportation from the PLV campus to the NYC campus where an orientation will occur. Following presentations from possible elected officials, there will be a documentary screening and then the trip to Rockaway will begin. The students will be given a tour of the community and the areas that were hit the hardest by the storm.

The next day, there will be volunteering activities with the Friends of Rockaway and a meeting with a community partner from the local newspaper, The Wave.

Students will continue volunteering and meeting with community members until the trip’s last day when students will return back to the Pace Campuses.

Upon return, students that are involved are encouraged to compose letters to elected officials advocating an issue that each student personally would like to bring to the attention of the recipient. Students will also be urged to promote the trip and program and share their experiences with other students and faculty.

“It is an immersive experience that has wonderful opportunities for those involved,” Program Coordinator for the Pace New York City campus Ashley Kuenneke said.

Applications for ASB are due Fri. Feb. 14. Students will be notified of their acceptance on Tues, Feb. 18. The application itself requires basic information as well as a short essay explaining why the applicant would benefit the trip. Students attending the trip will be required to make a $100 deposit for participation that will be returned after all of the tasks of ASB have been completed.

Students who are interested in learning more about ASB or would like to be in contact with students that have previously attended ASB can contact Ashley Kuenneke in NYC or Caitlin Kelly in PLV.