Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Nicholas Diaz and Paris TraceyApril 19, 2024

Outfielder Layla Michelson high-fives catcher Carolina Iturriga during a home game(paceathletics/IG)
Softball Goes through New York City Area Colleges Spotless

NEW YORK- Pace Softball had a mini tour through New York City starting at Staten Island and ending in Queens, resulting in three more victories. On...

Orientation Leader Selection and an OL’s Experience

Orientation Leader (OL) selection took place at the Pace Pleasantville Campus, this past weekend

The applications for OLs are released before Thanksgiving, “that way students have time to discuss the job with their families over the break,” Director of Student Development and Campus Activities (SDCA) Rachel Carpenter said.

“It’s a big commitment to give up your summer to be an OL,” Carpenter said. “We understand that some students have to think about family obligations or commitments and summer internships or jobs that they could be missing if they decide to take the position.”

Staff and faculty submit OL Nominations to SDCA throughout November and December. These recommendations do not give students a greater chance at being accepted; rather nominated students are placed on an email list that would remind them of applications being due. This is the same for students that put their email down for interest in an OL position at the campus involvement fairs.

“I want someone that is selfless, someone that wants to help others, be there more than just for themselves, and always know how to find answers—even if they have to ask someone else, because ‘I don’t know’ is not an acceptable answer,” Carpenter said. “I think that they should be good communicators…this is a big one, service oriented, willing to share themselves with others, and open-minded to new experiences and people.”

There are typically 14 OLs for the summer, but this number may vary from year to year depending on the applicants and the known student enrollment for the coming year. The number of OLs hired is very comfortable at 14 but can be as little as 11. With less than 11 OLs it becomes more difficult to manage the incoming class in small and personalized orientation groups.

There are not a specific set number of male or female OLs but there is usually a percentage based on the applicants. Usually there is a higher female applicant number than male applicant number. There have been years where this is reversed, but overall the importance is placed on the quality of the application and performance during the OL selection process than the quantity of male or female students.

This year there were 21 students that applied for the OL positions. Three of these applicants were previously OLs. On average, roughly 20 percent of OLs reapply from one year to the next.

The selection process only lasts one day, but involves a combination of group process events as well as an interview.

The three different categories (group process, interview, and applications) are all coded and rated for each person on a point scale. The score overall is cumulative and is what is used to help determine who will be accepted as OLs.

“We want someone that is not just average but goes above and beyond in all,” Carpenter said. “That being said, people get nervous and we do know that, but performance is key!”

Students accepted to the OL position attend summer training and all four orientation sessions. At each orientation session OLs are required to participate in programs and are responsible for students and each other. It alternates between the sessions which OLs work with student groups and which they work with family programs and youth programs. As an example, if there are 14 overall OLs then 3 OLs could be placed with family and youth programs and 11 could be placed in student groups.

Students that have held the position of an OL can attest to many experiences and many remember the months over the summer with cherished memories.

“Being an Orientation Leader has positively affected my college experience for several reasons,” junior adolescent education major Halle Champion said. “It has provided me with multiple leadership trainings. It has also allowed me to grow as a person. Being an OL and working closely with the other offices on campus has allowed me to meet all sorts of faculty, staff, the Provost and even President Stephen J. Friedman. I have grown to know how I work and what it is like to have a demanding job. I have loved being an orientation leader.”

The compensation received by the OLs includes personal coaching as well as trainings for leadership roles, and training trips. They also receive free housing for June and July with the addition of a couple of meals a week. During the orientation days the OLs receive breakfast, lunch, dinner, and some snacks. There are also the perks that are often associated with the job, such as the Pace apparel and accessories. OLs receive a stipend that is divided into paychecks that is equal to roughly $1,900- 2,100.

“The pay is good, but the way the payments are set up makes it look like it isn’t,” junior history and political science major Ashley Lora said. “We get paid on a Pace Payroll until the end of December.  This is so that OLs fulfill all duties outlined in their contract (no judicial record, keeping the good name of Orientation, and showing up to support org programming).  Honestly, and most OLs will agree, this isn’t a job that you do for the pay.  You get much more from the experience, much more valuable than money and swag.  Don’t get me wrong, the pay is an added bonus.”

Some students that are OLs after the summer session become Week of Welcome (WOW) leaders during the fall semester and attend “50 Days and 50 Nights” events. These students show examples of engaged students on campus and help promote campus life to the freshman that were in their orientations. It is a separate job and for this reason some OL’s that are also Resident Assistants (RAs) have a more difficult time being a WOW leader when they have to also fulfill RA obligations.

“Students can’t be a first year RA and OL in the same year because they need to be able to relax from one to the next, said Carpenter. “Needing to balance the requirements towards the end of the summer for an OL and the beginning of the semester for an RA can be very stressful. We don’t want to set students up for burnout.”

Students that become OLs typically gain an experience that they will remember for a lifetime, whether it is a family of other OLs or an ability to find themselves.

“I was an OL during the summer of 2012,” senior media communications major Amanda Villavicencio said. “I decided to become an OL because I always heard it was a great/fun experience. Although I was an OL for only one summer I would recommend the job to other students. It isn’t an easy job and requires a lot of time dedication but once orientation begins, it is all worth it. Being an OL has given me one more great college memory that will last a lifetime I learn a lot; not only how to work with other but, also about myself.”

Students give up their summers for a job living on campus, but previous OLs share that to them it is so much more than just a job.