Residential Life Administration and Policies Change

TAYLOR LONGENBERGER, News Editor

Students returning to the Pace Pleasantville campus for the fall semester are faced with more than just construction changes on campus.

Regulations set forth in the Guide to Residential Living (GRL) will be strictly enforced this semester, as part of an ongoing effort to clarify and carry out the policies by which students are expected to adhere to.

Earlier quiet hours in the dorms have been implemented and previous policies are expected to be stringently enforced including consumption of open containers of alcohol in public areas as part of an initiative set forth by Alerie Trisch, the new Director of Residential Life.

Trisch, along with Shari Crandall, the new Associate Director of Training and Development in Residential Life, are approaching this semester with the goal of “supporting the mission of the institution and promoting academic success.” In other words, drinking in public spaces, getting rowdy and making noise will lead to consequences.

“One of the big questions in reviewing policies was: can students understand what the policies are,” said Trisch, who has more than 15 years of experience in higher education settings. “I am sorry that students are feeling frustrated by the enforcement of the polices.  It is the intention of residential life to keep the residence halls and townhouses as safe as possible.”

Townhouse Resident Director (RD) and Resident Assistants (RAs) have explained to the Townhouse community several of the policies that have been changed. Quiet hours will now begin at 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, a half hour before they had previously started.

“I don’t really know what I think about the policy enforcement yet because I haven’t had an issue with the policy thus far.” junior townhouse resident Mike Scalia said.

Other policies that have already been in place and have not previously been enforced will now be enforced, such as the policy in the 2013-’14 GRL that states: “No open containers of alcohol or alcoholic beverage will be permitted in any public areas (lounges, hallways, kitchenettes, patios, porches, outside of the Townhouses, etc.) or any residence hall, unless by permission of the Office of Residential Life.”

Any students found with open containers of alcohol outside of the Townhouses are warned and asked to “dump their cup,” regardless of legal drinking status.

“I was standing outside my townhouse drinking an iced tea from Kessel when security asked me to bring it inside. Even though I was not in violation of policy, the security guard told me it was because ‘he didn’t know if it was alcohol or not.’ The ambiguous interpretation of the alcohol policy is infringing on my right to relax outside of my own townhouse while still adhering to the TH policy/rules,” senior criminal justice major Conor Whelan said. “If in possession of a non-alcoholic beverage I would like to know at what time am I not allowed to be outside of my own townhouse with it?”

The 2014-15’ GRL was posted on Fri. Sept. 12 replacing the previous version with policies that have been altered or added that will be enforced this year.

“With things that students are not accustomed to I want to make sure that they are in a safe and inclusive environment where they can all be heard for their own needs and wants,” Townhouse RD Joyce Arias said. “My role is not just to supervise or enforce policies, but to aid as an additional guide. Students want to have the best years of their lives and I want them to be proud to be here.”

Some students believe that despite efforts of enforcing policies their rights are being violated.

“It’s ridiculous and it’s killing the social life on this campus,” senior townhouse resident Mattia Pastore said. “We didn’t have any issues before when we were just asked to have alcohol in a cup, now we can’t even have that and it’s like they don’t want us outside where we have a right to be.”

Students who wish to voice proposals or opinions about the policies or the enforcement thus far are encouraged to contact the Director of Residential Life, Trisch or to seek out their Residence Director (RD), Residential Housing Association (RHA), or any Senior Level Office Staff member.