Provost Discusses Possible School Mergers

Crest from pace.edu

“People expect to see an end vision and are always looking to the future. We need a positive statement of where we are going, and collaborating together can aid in that process,” Sukhatme said.

TAYLOR LONGENBERGER, News Editor

Pace University Provost, Uday Sukhatme, joined faculty, staff, and students in an informal tea with the Provost in Choate Art Gallery Friday afternoon.

Following the faculty community meeting, the provost invited faculty, staff, and students to pose questions and concerns regarding new initiatives set forth.

Topics discussed included combining departmental schools, international programs and students, and Pleasantville campus retention.

The standings of the Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems and the School of Education were questioned in relation to their potential merges or shifts from their current positions. Research is being conducted to provide a cost effective solution as well as to evaluate the financial and Academic Impact to placement of the schools.

Potential changes include the merging of the School of Education with the Dyson College of Arts and Sciences and condensing Seidenberg School from both campuses just to the New York City Campus. Decisions regarding the shifts in schools should be finalized within the next few weeks.

“Evaluating each respective school separately will help with self-sufficiency. Education has moved forward, but they may be setting the lead for other schools,” said Sukhatme, in response to the efforts to maximize profit and increase student benefit with all new initiatives.

The creation of new international programs and travel courses were discussed in order to provide an additional means of benefiting students and increasing retention. Semester programs and exchange programs are being reviewed in order to determine partnerships with students, Pace, and other universities globally. The concept of creating combined travel courses, for example in Health Studies and Psychology that are not already available for students, was also discussed.

Faculty and staff have reviewed the initiatives presented in order to improve effectiveness.

Another Tea Time with the Provost will be held toward the end of the semester to discuss any changes. Any news of the merging of schools will be presented as soon as it is finalized.