Mortola Library Tests 24-Hour Access

Dandre Chery, Featured Writer

Mortola Library will be giving a 24-hour trial access to the building to provide longer use for studying purposes beginning on Mon. Dec. 1 and will run through the end of the fall semester on Fri Dec. 19.

“We had known for several years that this is something that the students wanted,” Associate University Librarian Steven Feyl said. “I think it’s a good step for us. I think it’s good to see how it will be received and see how we can move forward and make it better.”

During the 24/7 trial, students will only have access to the first floor after 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, and after midnight Friday and Saturday. All library services end at 2 a.m. and will resume at 8 am the following day.

“It’s a very big building to keep open 24 hours, so that’s why we’re condensing it to one floor,” Feyl said. “There are little areas where we will be expanding library coverage, but for the most part there won’t be any services, particularly between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m.”

Many students are looking forward to having access to the first floor after 2 a.m. because it will allow them to continue studying in a quiet and encouraging environment.

“Being a nursing student, I would always get kicked out at 2 a.m., and it was hard because when you’re not in the library, there are not too many places to go to study,” student library assistant Samantha Jewell said. “I think it’s a great idea; you’re not really rushed or anything.”

However, there is concern from administration and library staff that students will not remain in the library until the early hours of the morning.

“That’s the big question. Everybody says you should be open 24 hours a day, but when it comes down to it, will you actually be here at 4 o’clock in the morning? That’s a different thing,” Feyl said. “In the end, I do think people will use it.”

To keep track of student usage, the library will use an accounting system that measures how many students are in the library and at what times. These numbers will be a factor in how the trial is used in the future.

“There are a lot of people I know that like to study before class, so if it were open at 6 a.m., I’m sure that the library will be busy because people have time to get there before an 8 a.m. class,” Johnson said. “But around 3 or 4 a.m., there will probably be just a few people.”

To keep the library safe, a security guard will be monitoring the building throughout. Students entering or remaining in the library after 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and after midnight Friday and Saturday will have to show security their Pace ID. A cleaning person will also be hired from 8 p.m. to midnight as appose to 3 p.m. during regular hours.

Pace University Provost, Uday Sukhatme, along with Student Government Association (SGA), will provide the added funding for the extension of library hours. The usage and support during the trial will determine whether SGA will establish permanent funding or discontinue support.

“Depending on how much support the program will get, Student Government will either continue supporting it and try push for something bigger as a full-year round thing or try to figure if there is another option,” SGA President John Wrench said. “It’s really about how many will come and how many people will be interested in it continuing, so that’s how we’ll gauge support. Student Government would discuss some kind of funding if it is successful”

In comparison with other local schools, the trial, which will last three weeks, sets a new standard. According to Feyl competing institutions will only have 24-hour access for finals week.

“It would be one of those projects that, if we got it done, would be pretty significant,” Wrench said. “I think that it’s worth the effort that we’re putting into it. It is doable; this is not unattainable.”