Pace Joins National Stop Slut Movement

Pace+Joins+National+Stop+Slut+Movement+

TAYLOR LONGENBERGER, News Editor

Amherst College, Barnard College, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, North Dakota State University, Rutgers University, St. Cloud State University, and University of Montana have all performed the play that has led to a movement across the country.

“Due to the National move to bring sexual awareness to college campuses, I thought that bringing Slut, the play to Pace would be a great addition to the campus,” Simon said.

Stop Slut was written by a group of high school students that hoped to engage the country in activism in order to end slut shaming and transform the rape culture of today. The play represents a student-led movement using cultural expression in order to make a change to the perception of the word slut.

Current groups that are committed partners for the production of the play are the Sigma Lambda Upsilon Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority Incorporated (SLU), the Sexual Assault committee, MADP, and Residential Life.

“I feel like this play can really make a difference. It’s not like other forms of raising awareness that present facts and don’t really provide a visual way to know what slut shaming is like,” Pace student and member of the Sexual Assualt Committee Jordan White said. “I like this idea because actors can show the audience that being ‘slutty’ is not a reason to be treated a certain way and it is definitely not a reason to be raped, ever.”

Rehearsals have begun for the production that will be performed in late March and early April on the Briarcliff Campus in Woodward Hall.

Students have come together to use their skills as actors, costume designers, stagehands, and directors. The play has 11 student women characters and there are many male students participating in non-acting roles.

“I am excited that the Pleasantville campus is taking the initiative to show their acting skills for such a good cause,” SLU sister Iqra Mir said. “I am happy to be a part of something that can change the way that slut shaming is seen by using a visual display of feeling and real emotion.”