SGA Update Feb. 27

Kaitlyn Szilagyi, Health & Beauty Editor

Student Government Association (SGA) met on Fri., Feb. 27. Items on the agenda included a recently drafted resolution from Academic Affairs Committee and preparation for the Community Meeting held March 3.

Resolution 001 was presented during new business, addressing the course cancellations in Dyson this semester. The resolution included a proviso, indicating that if approved by the student body, the University President and Provost would be sent a copy of the resolution right away. The resolution was unanimously passed.

Presentations were given by Niki Fjeldal, Associate Director of Orientation and Transitions, Alerie Tirsch, Director of Housing and Residential Life, Information Technology System (ITS), and Gamma Sigma Sigma’s March of Dimes.

Ms. Fjeldal and Ms. Tirsch invited students to hold programs for Week of Welcome as well as offer ideas for programming for Homecoming 2015. Applications to host programs during Week of Welcome are due April 10, and there are currently five slots open for said programming.

ITS has created a focus group, using a third party consultant, who will help the department evaluate student relationships with administrative office and other departments on campus. In addition, ITS has a Student Technology Committee which allows students to provide feedback regarding services offered on Pleasantville as well as ideas or proposals for improvement.

Gamma Sigma Sigma is hosting “Project Hope” for the March of Dimes. This is a 25-day challenge to raise money for the March of Dimes Foundation, a nonprofit organization that seeks to help mothers achieve full term pregnancies and research problems that threaten the health and wellbeing of infants.

Fundraising can occur in teams or on an individual basis. Plaques for service will be awarded to the top three fundraisers, and a gift will be given to the top fundraiser.

Election packets for the prospective SGA executive board as well as school representatives for the campus were due Feb. 27, and are currently being processed.

The Vice President of Administration, Edwin Rodriguez, announced a free Defensive Driving Class will be available to students in the Mortola Library Electronic Classroom on March 8.

Tunnel of Oppression is set to take place March 29 through 31.

The philanthropy of the fall will be voted upon soon in SGA, and applications are currently active.