Pace Students React to NYC Chelsea Explosion

Authorities+at+the+scene+of+the+explosion.+Photo+courtesy+of+CNN.+

Authorities at the scene of the explosion. Photo courtesy of CNN.

Elise Adams, Layout Editor

A dumpster on West 23rd Street in Chelsea exploded around 8:30pm on Saturday in Manhattan. Windows of local businesses and residents were shattered and 29 people were left injured.

Authorities reported that the explosion was intentional, but was not related to terrorism. A suspicious device was also found a few blocks from the original explosion site on West 27th Street, where officers found a metal pot wrapped in wires with a cell phone attached.

The police department bomb squad removed the found device and transported it to the NYPD’s firing range in the Bronx. The device will be sent off for analyzation hopefully leading to further information on the explosion.

Pace students on the New York City (NYC) campus are worried for their safety after seeing the aftermath of the explosion.

Kaitlynn Brady, a junior at Pace NYC was at work on West 22nd street, one block from the explosion when it happened.

“I heard tons of sirens and saw a mob of people outside, it looked very chaotic. When I left work they had all the streets blocked off and the 1 train and F train were not running. I was scared on my way home, it was the first time I was actually hesitant to get on the subway,” Brady said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio addressed the public on Sunday morning regarding the incident.

“Now, I want to be clear. Whatever the cause, whatever the intention here, New Yorkers will not be intimidated,” de Blasio said. “We are not going to let anyone change who we are or how we go about our lives.”

Another Pace student expressed her fear of living in a touristy area downtown.

“I live just a few blocks from the World Trade Center, which is always filled with tourists. I wouldn’t be surprised if  my neighborhood is a target of another explosion. Hopefully not, but I am a little scared,” Josie Lovallo, a junior at Pace NYC said.

There is currently increased security across all five boroughs as a safety precaution, and police are still investigating the incident. They do not have any suspects yet and are investigating the motive behind the explosion as well as any specific reasons for the location.