Professor Making Recovery After Being Struck by Vehicle in NYC

Professor Lin Drury (Courtesy of the College of Health Professions)

Michelle Ricciardi, Editor in Chief

Professor of Lienhard School of Nursing, Dr. Lin Drury, was struck by a vehicle in New York City last Monday.

According to the Dean and Professor of the College of Health Professions and Lienhard School of Nursing, Dr. Harriet R. Feldman, Drury was leaving Pace University NYC’s William Street offices to catch the subway when a “rather large vehicle” struck her.

She was taken to a local hospital from which she was released this past weekend and is expected to make a full recovery.

“It was a terrible incident,” said Feldman. “[The department] was shocked but we are thankful that she is making a recovery.”

Drury has been a professor at Pace for more than 10 years, after teaching at DePaul University in Chicago.

Earlier this year, Drury, along with Dr. Sharon Wexler, were recognized for their research and commitment to gerontological nursing, which helped The Lienhard School of Nursing obtain its membership in the National Hartford Center of Gerontological Nursing Excellence.

She also helped Pace win the PILOT Health Tech NY Innovation Program with her research, “Lowering Health Care Costs and Improving Outcomes for Vulnerable Older Adults: A Pilot to Demonstrate the Effectiveness of eCaring’s In-home Care Management System within Henry Street Settlement’s Vladeck Cares Naturally Occurring Retirement Community,” in 2013.

Drury was previously nominated for various awards throughout the years including the National Rosalynn Carter Caregiving Award, the Excellence in Public Service Award, the Excellence in Teaching Award, and the Faculty Excellence Award.

Assistant Dean of the College of Health Professions (CHP), Stacie Cignarale, helped created a private online fundraiser to help support Drury and her family while she recovers. Within a week, Drury’s colleagues and friends have helped raise more than $6500.

According to Feldman, Drury will be on medical leave for the remainder of the semester. However, she remains hopeful that Drury will return to both campuses in the spring.

For more information about the fundraiser to help the recovery of Dr. Lin Drury, go to https://www.youcaring.com/lin-drury-674886