Pace Security Sends Alert This Past Wednesday

Vincent Beatty Executive Director Safety & Security at Pace University. Photo courtesy of Pace University

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

Students received a security alert last Wednesday regarding a restricted former graduate student, Daniel Banyai.

Students were not given any more information because Banyai is still under investigation. However, students are encouraged to call the security office if Banyai is seen on campus.

“We recommend that you do not attempt or detain him or engage him in conversation,” Vincent Beatty, the executive director of safety and security, said.

This statement caused many students to panic and fear for their personal safety.

“Who is this guy?” Nitara Ortiz, a junior at Pace, asked. “This campus is really small and overpopulated and it gets really dark at night. Should I be worried enough to not walk to my car alone at night?”

Other students believe that they deserve more information from security if their safety is at risk.

“I pay a lot of money to go here, I deserve to know what’s going on. If my life is at risk, I want to know,” Kaila Williams, a junior, said.

Students feel that this is a continuous pattern with Pace security and that they would be notified if it was something that risked their lives.

“I received the notification while I was in class and I wish we had more information on why he has been restricted from campus,” a junior, Stephanie Simoes, said. “I get that security is doing the best they can, but they never give us enough information.”