Pace Psychology Club receives SGA’s Philanthropy Fund to help host Suicide Awareness Walk

The Pace Psychology Club is partnering with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to host a couple of events throughout the spring semester, including a Suicide Awareness walk.

parksidentist.com

Stefano Ausenda, Contributing Editor

Since losing his friend in high, Pace junior, Thomas Rello, had a deep personal connection to suicide. This connection is what motivated him and the Pace Psychology Club, which he helped form his freshman year, to work with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

“[My connection to suicide] has really motivated me to show Pace students that suicide is a real thing and affects college students more than anything else,” Rello said. “Mental health is a serious topic that is always overlooked, but the club really wants to put an end to that stigma and start a conversation.”

The club will partner with the foundation to host a few events throughout the semester, including a movie night (with a film suggested by the foundation), and a discussion about suicide prevention; both of which will lead up to a suicide prevention walk.

To help host these events, the club received the Student Government’s philanthropy fund of $4,400. It was the first time in almost a decade that the funding did not go to Colleges Against Cancer to help host Relay for Life. The fund is given out once a year, and the motion for the Psychology Club to receive the funding was unanimously approved by the senate. Rello greatly appreciates SGA providing this funding and instilling trust in the organization to show what they are truly made of.

“Last walk, we raised close to $8,000 without help from another organization or anyone backing us up and really helping us put the walk on,” Rello said.

However, he believes that due to the extra funding from SGA, the event will be advertised better, have a better turnout and raise even more money.

“With the extra money, [the club] plans on bringing in more incentives for students to come and enjoy the day with us,” Rello said.

Some of these new incentives include bringing in food and ice cream trucks, party activities and more raffle prizes that students can win. For Rello, the most rewarding parts of working with American Foundation for Suicide Prevention are both the satisfaction of hosting the walk and allowing such an important and difficult topic to be discussed among students.

“After I lost my friend and even had some people who were very close to me attempt suicide, I realized how important it is to make everyone you know feel loved and that they matter in this world, no matter who or what they are,” he said. “Even though I try to do this every day, I’m happy that I get to do this on a larger scale at least once a year.”