SGA Elections go on amidst COVID-19

Korbin Kepners campaign flyer for Vice President of Finance

Christina Bubba

Korbin Kepner’s campaign flyer for Vice President of Finance

Miaira Raiford, Contributing Writer

Student Government Association (SGA) Elections closed on Friday. They have been struggling to find ways for candidates to have their debates and fully market themselves. Normally, two debate sessions with an audience are held in early April, which SGA would then live stream, and all of the candidates would answer questions and tell people about themselves.

Vice President of Finance, Ciara Kain, further expresses how students can still show their support for their peers in difficult times.

“The only thing we can really do is use social media, and that all depends on whether students are following them or SGA,” Kain said. “We have been trying to help all the candidates by reposting their flyers on our page and sending emails with SDCA, but we are still looking for more ways to keep all students involved.”

Kain is not the only person who believes it is important to vote for your own student body; she mentions they are in fact “the team who will represent you to the president and provost, and to other schools around the country,” as well.

“I think voting is incredibly important because everyone should have the ability to influence who is in any position of power and make sure that is someone that has their best interests in mind,” Digital Cinema and Film Making major, Korbin Kepner, said.

“It is the student body’s responsibility to elect the most fit candidates for the government positions,” Kain said.

In the past, it was not uncommon to have one or two write-in candidates a year, and this year it happened to be Izzy Murphy, running as a write-in candidate for Executive Vice President.

“It is already extremely difficult to promote oneself considering none of us are physically together, so it’s even more difficult for a write-in candidate to successfully run,” Kain commented. “But major respect for Izzy for doing it. Her passion for student government doesn’t go unnoticed.”