Preparation for fall registration continues despite the pandemic

Ibrahim Aksoy, Contributing Writer

Pace is set to open fall 2020 registration on April 22 without any delays. Fall courses already began accepting registrations on April 8 for graduate students.

Although Pace was forced to cancel all events and move to online learning, the university has no plan to delay fall registration dates.

“At this time we do not plan to change registration dates for fall,” Vice President for Enrollment Management and Replacement, Robina Schepp said.

As of now, fall classes are scheduled to start as though students will be back to campus on September 4.

“Pace was able to make the change to remote learning very quickly this spring. If it is necessary, we will do the same for fall,” Schepp added.

For students who are interested in taking summer classes, in-class meetings are still expected to begin on May 26 for Summer I and July 13 for Summer II. However, Pace is monitoring the situation closely and will make a decision about whether they will be online by mid-April.

Although the pandemic has created questions among students about whether it is safe to be back to campus, Schepp does not think it has affected summer registration.

“At this point, we are not seeing an impact on summer registration due to COVID-19,” Schepp said.

Pace did not make any announcements regarding the fall semester yet. However, as more people are being tested and lockdowns have been put in place, the hope of curving the flat emerges, which will allow students to meet their peers.

As the spring semester comes to an end, Pace will be welcoming new students at its New York City and Westchester campuses next fall. Currently, there is no delay in the admissions department and students will be able to join the Pace community without any disruptions.

“There are no delays with admissions due to the coronavirus,” Schepp said. “We have been operating in a digital environment for a year now with regard to reading applications and admitting students. This spring, it was necessary to move all of our admitted student events, Pace Bound, and campus tours to a virtual environment.”

For international admissions, the international students and scholars office is still able to issue I-20, which allows foreign students to apply for an academic visa and grants them access to enter the United States. 

The office is still considering international applications as Pace assumes that students will be back on campus in September and no travel restrictions are imposed for foreign nationals. If Pace decides to go online or the United States closes its borders, current and newly admitted international students will have to take the courses remotely.