Pace to start after Labor Day for 2021-2022 academic year

Pace+has+released+the+2021-2022+academic+calendar+on+its+website.+

Pace University

Pace has released the 2021-2022 academic calendar on its website.

Katie Walsh, Managing Editor

Editors Note: This is a breaking news article that will be updated with more information as it is received. 

After a unique situation due to COVID-19, Pace started two weeks earlier than normal in 2020. The early start allowed for the maximum usage of dorms and the minimization of travel to help avoid the spread of COVID-19.

However, the early start also allowed students, staff and faculty to have an extended winter break. The semester had ended in the first week of December, allowing wiggle room prior to the busy holiday season. Moreover, Pace’s semester end aligned closer to other universities and colleges that follow the August start date.

Despite this, the 2021-2022 academic calendar has the college starting on Wednesday Sept. 8 and ending on Wednesday Dec. 22.

“The new academic calendar gives me hope that we may slowly be returning back to normalcy,” Junior Rachel Wyman added. “Returning to school so late and ending so close to the holidays is not ideal.”

The semester does incorporate days off for holidays like Diwali and Yom Kippur. Moreover, the semester start occurs after Rosh Hashanah and Labor Day. An undergraduate study day has been added on Dec. 13.

The spring semester will begin on Jan. 24 and end on May 14. The spring does have a spring break scheduled, at this time, from March 13 to March 20.

“I’m happy see we have our spring break,” said Wyman.

In addition, Presidents Day, Lunar New Year, Good Friday and Passover results in days off from classes. The spring has two undergraduate study days scheduled on May 4 and May 5.