Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Student Government Candidates Give Speeches to Student Body

Elections open March 13 10:00 am on Setter Sync. The ballot closes at 4:00pm on March 15.

The Candidate Speeches for President and Vice President of the Student Government Association concluded earlier today in the Gottesman Room. Barbara Mulligan, director of the Center for Student Engagement (CSE) was moderator for the hour. For order, opening statements by one or both of the candidates open the session. Students in attendance were allowed to answer questions following both statements. The candidates were then allowed to ask each other about their policies. The hour ended with closing statements.

Incumbent Nick Diaz was the first to speak. Diaz opened his speech with a recap of who he is, most importantly a commuter. Diaz cited multiple achievements of his and Vice President Paris Tracey’s year in office. He opened with the response to food insecurity, citing Fair Trade and increased use of The Pace Market. Diaz was proud of the SGA office turning to a “resource hub” where students go for information and help, while making it open door. He cited the success of last year’s Midnight Breakfast and the reintroduction of the Springfest Concert as success and reason to vote the incumbents.

Sebastian Zayas-Bazan paid attention to the creativity and leisure of students. He opened with mention of the everyday stress of being a student and for many in clubs and at jobs as choking off creativity. Zayas-Bazan hoped to increase student participation. He cited limited participation and input for the Dining Advisory Board, where he transitioned to criticism of increasing prices.  Zayas-Bazan  said he is hoping to create an enviornment that fosters creativity.

Zayas-Bazan stated his hope to restructure the Student Government. He wished to give voting power to the Senate and reestablish the Judicial Committe. Zayas-Bazan is in favor of reforming the SGA Constitution to be up to the times of technology and changing demands. It was unclear if any proposed changes or amendments to the Constitution would be voted on by the Senate, Clubs, or any vote at all.

Both parties turned to the audience for questions. On the question of what would be done different should they be elected to another term, both Diaz and Tracey commented on the difficulty of making every single person happy. Diaz focused on communication improving between SGA and the student body and between SGA and the CSE.

The question of what exact lapses in communication are present that they hope to fix was posed to Zayas-Bazan and Guerrero. Zayas-Bazan in response turned to seniors in the audience who were unaware of the current Senior Planning Committee. For how they will improve, Zayas-Bazan hope to give weekly updates on the day-to-day affairs of the Student Government. He looks to turn to WPAW and The Pace Chronicle to provide a platform. Guerrero added comments about students’ lack of awareness of the specific resources available through SGA and asserts they have not properly promoted Fair Trade.

A second question posed to Zayas-Bazan and Guererro asked how they deferred from other candidates in the past. Both turned to their experience on e-boards on this campus. Guererro cited his work with the Office of Sexual and Interpersonal Wellness and his work with OnePace. Zayas-Bazan made note of his experience with the Commuter Advisory Board.

The last question for both campaigns was what specficially do all of the candidates hope to get accomplished should they be elected. Tracey opened with her hope to increase her work with the Office of Multicultural Affairs and making a safer environment for women of color. Diaz hoped to keep Kessel Student Center buzzing, encouraging events taking place in the building. He added his pleasure with events during Black History Month and hope to replicate the succeess. Guerrero answered hoping for more artistic expression around campus. He included OnePace’s Black History Month Gallery in Choate House last month. He also looked to specifically make a Title IX filing option within SGA while helping with the affirmation of LGBTQ students.

The candidates each asked each other one question Diaz asked Guerrero on his decision to run despite heavy support during the 2023 Election. Guerrero answered with his belief that having fresh policies would be better for the student body. Zayas-Basan questioned Diaz on how has he changed his entering office and will he be able to commit. Diaz expressed confidence in his ability to run for a second term. He believed in his time management skills improving and can now perfectly balance personal life with SGA.